Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How many wears out of school uniform?

(25 Posts)
McDougal Wed 13-Sep-17 18:31:40

As above really. I'd like to know if we're being a little scruffy by getting DD (reception) to wear her pinafores and cardigans more than once?

We actually have enough of everything to not need to wash midweek but I just think it's a bit of a waste putting perfectly clean clothes in the wash. DD has seemed to have had a change in attitude towards getting covered in all sorts (nursery uniform was dark colours thankfully) and comes home as clean as we send her.

So jury of mumsnet, are we being lazy/scruffy to get DD to wear some things twice?

HateSummer Wed 13-Sep-17 18:33:33

Honestly. If they're clean why would you wash it?

Akire Wed 13-Sep-17 18:34:05

Of course! Do you wash a jumper for yourself after wearing it for 6h and it's not next to your skin? Of
It looks clean it is clean

McDougal Wed 13-Sep-17 18:34:29

Exactly my thoughts but a friend asked why wouldn't you put your child in clean clothes every day.

I don't get it myself and seems like a waste of time and money.

Bokky Wed 13-Sep-17 18:35:18

Skirts and pinafores only get washed in our house if they're dirty! Polo shirts get changed daily.

Mamabear4180 Wed 13-Sep-17 18:36:30

My DD had 2 jumpers, 2 skirts and 5 polo shirts at primary school. She wore a clean polo everyday and the skirt and jumper 2-3 times and i'd wash it all at the weekend.

McDougal Wed 13-Sep-17 18:36:54

Glad it's not just me! I think anything that's close to the skin, fair enough, but I don't fancy making Ariel richer for no reason grin

isittheholidaysyet Wed 13-Sep-17 18:42:23

As a general rule, mine wear one set of uniform for mon-wed and another thurs-fri.
This is usually fine for the three boys, thought they have a habit of getting grass stains on their shoulders (how?) And if it is a wet/muddy day, they might have dirty trousers. I have more changes if they need them. Ds1 and DS 2, however do not wear jumpers, so they travel to and from school in their bags and I wash it at half-term (for no apparent reason). Ds3 is beginning to follow them. Ties rarely get washed.

DD, however, my youngest, is a law unto herself and often comes home filthy from head to toe including her tie and cardigan. She can go through four sets in a week, but it is all obvious, 'I can't send you in looking like that', dirt!

theconstantinoplegardener Wed 13-Sep-17 18:43:23

I only wash uniforms when dirty (although if by some miracle an item had lasted until the weekend, I would then put it in the wash!). Although I do put the items that my DC wore after swimming in the wash. My DC are all at primary school and are some way from puberty so they don't really get sweaty or smelly yet.
Think of the environmental benefits of not doing unnecessary uniform washing!

MiaowTheCat Wed 13-Sep-17 18:44:32

I tend to change polo shirts daily but the rest of the stuff (cardie, pinafore etc) - bollocks to that. I hate ironing - I don't seek it out. If they're mucking around in the garden or anything after school I do make them get changed which reduces uniforms getting dirty as well - I'd rather wash random leggings and tops that rarely if ever see the iron more!

AdalindSchade Wed 13-Sep-17 18:45:24

Ah I just wash uniform daily as a matter of course. It's usually dirty and I can't be arsed to check for grubby bits so I wash it. I don't wash the jumper if he wore it for 40 minutes then stuffed it in the bag though

McDougal Wed 13-Sep-17 18:46:38

Ah that's it, we're saving the environment!

That's the line I'll trot out if anyone questions me again wink

thisagain Wed 13-Sep-17 21:08:29

My son is 6 and I wash his uniform daily. It's often not dirty but is creased and like him to wear clean every day. I know it's unnecessary though.

umbongokid Wed 13-Sep-17 21:12:48

There's a standard rule... if it's dirty wash it, if it's not dirty wear again.

HellsBellsnBucketsofBlood Wed 13-Sep-17 21:59:30

DD has to wear the same summer dress all week. I'll wash it if it's mucky, but she's only got the one...

StinkPickle Wed 13-Sep-17 22:01:14

My son is Year 1 and never gets dirty. He's a little neat soul. We get 2-3 wears from shorts, shirt and jumper. It always smells and looks clean.

PurplePillowCase Wed 13-Sep-17 22:06:52

yes, wash if dirty.
little splodges can sometimes be wiped off. socks&underwear changed daily (as usual)
though in reception dc often came home wearing yoghurt on the front confused

mangomay Wed 13-Sep-17 22:11:54

My DCs (10 & 8) are grubby little beasts. They usually take their jumpers off and stuff them in their bags so they often get a week's wear, but trousers and shirts? Filthy, every day. TBF we live semi rurally and take a shortcut through a field on the way home, so even if they come out of school clean, they're not often clean by the time we get home. Luckily DH drops us off in the morn or we'd all be filthy before we even got to school.

Maryann1975 Wed 13-Sep-17 22:22:32

Mine have a clean shirt Monday Wednesday and Friday and clean skirt/trousers/cardigan/jumper on a Monday or if it's dirty. No way would I ever encourage clean skirt and jumper every day, I have far more important things to be doing than laundry.

Michaelahpurple Thu 14-Sep-17 09:31:37

I am startled by so many people washing pinafores and jumpers daily. I feel my life is dogged with laundry tasks just from tackling things that are actually dirty ! Perhaps I am a slattern. No wonder there are so many posts about uniform sweatshirts and jumpers fading over the year.

Little people don't sweat or smell so I so t think there needs to be automatic washing of anything except socks and underpants. If it doesn't look dirty and doesn't smell dirty, then it is worn again (isn't that what everyone does with their own clothes - do you wash your jeans every wearing?). After 2/3 days I change his shirt anyway as seems grim but that is it (they have grey shirts - if they were white j imagine that grimy cuffs would drive those to daily too.

Witchend Thu 14-Sep-17 16:04:42

When I was at school it was unusual to have more than one of anything except shirts.

I change when dirty. With dd1, sometimes I changed with a little tired looking because she tended to stay clean. With ds sometimes on Friday he goes with a bit of a mark on his top because he's had to change every day and none of them are quite dry.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Thu 14-Sep-17 18:05:34

Shirt and trousers get washed every day here because I know DS (Y3) plays football etc every break so even if they look clean they've been sweated in.

I know he barely wears his jumper and it lives on his peg or in his bag so that only gets a wash when he bothers to bring it home it looks like it needs it.

The PE kit gets brought home on Friday night to be returned for Saturday school when there is often a match so he needs to be turned out in a reasonable state.

McDougal Thu 14-Sep-17 18:47:34

Well tomorrow DD is on her third wear of her pinafore. It's still spotless so I'm more than happy to have her wear it again.

DH is now in charge (I've started a PGCE so can't do drop offs/pick ups) so I'll have to keep an eye for him sending her in uniform that really should be replaced grin. He, like PP, only had one of most items of uniform, so doesn't see the need to change daily...or weekly confused

shhhfastasleep Thu 14-Sep-17 18:52:17

Apart from shirts which she has fresh on each day, I generally sling skirts/jumpers etc in the wash at the weekend. Unless they are mucky and can't be spot cleaned (paint or something), in which case I'll stick em in the wash then and use a back up.
Obviously fresh knicks, socks and crop top each day.

FineAsWeAre Sat 16-Sep-17 06:52:51

Clean polo shirt every day, trousers and jumper worn for 2 or 3 days unless mucky (he has 2 of each and I wash them all at the weekend).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now