Talk

Advanced search

Sutton Coldfield schools

(22 Posts)
coffeeandcake7 Sun 03-Sep-17 19:23:14

Hi, I will be applying for a primary school place for dd next month and I am torn between two local schools... I have checked ofsted reports and will be attending the forthcoming open days but wandered if anyone had and. Feedback on either little Aston or hillwest schools in Sutton Coldfield. I have heard good and bad about both.
Many thanks

Tiredemma Sun 08-Oct-17 14:24:32

Hi

also on my list! what are the bad things that you have heard?

BackforGood Mon 09-Oct-17 16:40:39

Hi. Wrong side of City for me. You might get more response posting in Mumsnet Local ? smile

coffeeandcake7 Mon 09-Oct-17 22:32:08

Hi tiredemma

Little Aston mainly.... Heard bad experiences with the head and not dealing with bullying, a friend removed her ds from there a few years back because of this. Having been a few times over the past month with another friend to collect her ds I have got a bit of a feel for the place... My own perception..... The car park is full of Chelsea tractors and most of the mothers appear to be wags. Off to see hillwest in a few weeks, just looking at the info on each of the school websites- hillwest appears to have more to offer, more outdoor space, after school activities (timetable is fab) , school holiday clubs and better facilities.

Tiredemma Fri 13-Oct-17 22:38:33

Thanks for the info- something for me to bear in mind.

I went to Four Oaks primary yesterday and have Coppice next week, then Moor Hall.

I hadn't considered Hill west but might now. Have you considered Mere Green? my two boys (now teenagers) went there and the headmistress was fantastic. Its a great school

coffeeandcake7 Fri 13-Oct-17 22:57:01

Four oaks and coppice are amazing... So I hear. Four oaks is the closest school to me, however last years cut off for admissions was 652 metres and I am around 900 metres 😟...

I hadn't considered mere green... It looks such a huge school I worry my dd would get lost in there! Certainly worth a look though! ..

Tiredemma Sat 14-Oct-17 12:15:48

You must live very near me! I am 1042 meters from FO.

Mere Green is a good school- smaller than Four Oaks. I would suggest looking at it.

Vanillaradio Sat 14-Oct-17 13:36:51

Hi. I'm looking at schools in Sutton too. We are just outside cut off for Hill West but it seems to have a good reputation. Mere Green is well worth a look, it's reputation has improved massively lately and I have heard good things from those at ds' nursery with older children there. I don't think it is as huge as it looks! For us Moor Hall is most likely as it is very convenient and seems really lovely but waiting for open days to make decision.We are also looking at Coppice which I have heard mixed things about.

Tiredemma Sat 14-Oct-17 15:47:14

Hi Vanilla- can I ask what you have heard about Coppice? Its currently my 1st choice (although just outside last years cut off)_ hoping that the extra 30 places coming up at Moor Hall 'expand' the catchment for this year.

We have just moved house away from Little Sutton catchment which is really annoying as I would have loved DD to go to that school.

Ldq2456 Sat 14-Oct-17 17:27:07

I’m in the same boat! But the other end of Sutton really. Near boldmere infants and Wylde Green Primary.

Either of these good?

TheHandmaidsTail Sat 14-Oct-17 17:28:51

Boldmere very good, but small catchment. Wylde Green very mixed reviews.

Flumplet Sat 14-Oct-17 17:36:07

My ds is moving to hill west after half term (not
Reception year) and we are over the moon, it seems like such a fab school!

Vanillaradio Sat 14-Oct-17 18:26:17

I heard from a couple of people that bad behaviour is not dealt with well at Coppice. Not sure how true this is as other people have told me it's a really nice school. We are right on the edge on last year's numbers so may not even get in......
We are about 200 metres outside getting into Little Sutton which is a shame as it looks lovely and ds's best friend from nursery will probably go there.
Going to check out the open days and then decide I guess.

Tiredemma Sat 14-Oct-17 20:18:49

Boldmere is a good school. Wylde Green had notice to improve at last Ofsted.

coffeeandcake7 Sat 14-Oct-17 21:47:32

Tiredemma I am a stones throw from blakes barn. I made my mind up a little while back my 3 choices would be little Aston, hillwest, mere green ... Still got to visit hill west and mere green but I am swaying more towards hillwest as first choice having been to little Aston. Hillwest website and prospectus is also very informative. They have a good choice of after school activities, holidays clubs, and wrap around care too.

Tiredemma Sun 15-Oct-17 08:03:41

coffee- have to agree that I found the Little Aston website less than informative.

When I moved over this way in 2011 only Mere Green had places so I didnt have to make these tough decisions!!

Flumplet Sun 15-Oct-17 09:44:18

I’m up by the tv mast! Hi locals!

Tiredemma Wed 25-Oct-17 19:52:39

Ive applied. Put Coppice as first choice, then Moor Hall, then little sutton

coffeeandcake7 Wed 25-Oct-17 20:11:36

Good choices tiredemma ... I am wrong side of sutton for all 3 of those. 😟 going to see hillwest next week.l and will then make my decision

coffeeandcake7 Thu 02-Nov-17 21:28:58

I've been to see hillwest today. I must say - very impressed 😃 lovely classrooms, great facilities and found the head teacher very friendly and approachable- same goes for the teachers I spoke with..

Flumplet Fri 10-Nov-17 18:25:30

Ds has been at HW for a couple of weeks now and we are really happy with it.

Tiredemma Fri 20-Apr-18 16:29:42

What did you all get? DD got moor Hall !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: