Advanced search

No school place - childcare options?

(19 Posts)
Anon511 Thu 31-Aug-17 18:50:46

Hi all
We've just moved house (outside of London to London) this summer and applied for a year 1 place for DD1 at the local primary school. We are told she's no.1 on the waiting list but no place available at the moment. We are reassured by the council that there will be movements in the first week and it's likely she will have a place eventually. They said it's likely she will have to stay at home for the first week.

I know it doesn't sound too bad but I'm worried that it may not happen for a few weeks still.

We applied for the school place 4 weeks ago and so far no movement at all. I had to take a month off work to look after the kids as DD1 is on school holiday and DD2 has not yet had a nursery place (she will start next week thankfully). I do need to get back to work and worried this could drag on much longer. I cannot afford to be off work any longer.

I'm wondering what people have typically done in terms of childcare in such situation? DD1 has been doing some half day camps but they will end once school starts. Nurseries don't take 5+ year olds. I wondered about childminders and nannies, but it seems they would take a while to arrange as well, especially in London it seems like good ones are always busy

Any suggestions appreciated

OP’s posts: |
MrsPear Thu 31-Aug-17 18:56:11

I would say nanny agency and say you require an urgent temp - I would imagine that an agency is more able to help quicker rather than you searching for an individual

SquirmOfEels Thu 31-Aug-17 19:08:36

Can the council offer a school place anywhere?

Accepting a place elsewhere won't make any difference to the waiting list of your preferred school. Yes, disruptive, but way more affordable than a temp nanny. Choose your poison....

Lowdoorinthewal1 Thu 31-Aug-17 19:41:11

I use for full days of care. They are worth a try.

Anon511 Fri 01-Sep-17 19:44:44

Thanks for the suggestion everyone.
Nanny agency is probably too expensive because we may end up paying a referral fee and only use a temp for a week.
Currently the council is hopeful in terms of getting us a place at the preferred school so they won't offer us a place in a different school.
I will look into sitters though. Have used them in the past and forgot about it.
Thanks again everyone

OP’s posts: |
kimlo Fri 01-Sep-17 19:48:41

do any of the local day nurserys take 5+? The one I work at can take children up to 8, and some might have places because they have just had the ones going to school leave.

Lurkedforever1 Sat 02-Sep-17 11:24:32

I'd look into childminders, I know you say they're busy but lots tend to lose kids in September to school, and even childminders who are doing wrap around care won't have school age dc during the day.
Or do you know any reliable students who aren't back at university yet who might like some extra cash? Thinking friends dc rather than advertising for random teens.

Stinkycleanhouse Sun 03-Sep-17 00:07:35

The council shouldn't be " hopeful " as someone still needs to leave for you to get the place.
They should be advising you what schools, if any in your local area have a place.
I'm sure you'll be offered a school place come next week - lots of people move over the summer holidays and don't inform the council straight away so then they wouldn't know. Good luck x

Anon511 Wed 06-Sep-17 12:38:47

Thanks everyone.

We looked into nurseries but none take 5+ around us.
We just moved into the area so don't really have friends children to ask or anything like that. I suppose I could look around for a childminder but tbh at this point it feels like it could take a while and the uncertainty about school place makes it hard to search - it keeps feeling like maybe we'll get sorted soon so hard to commit.

DH has offered to work from home look after DD1 while DD2 does a few hours in nursery tomorrow. And we'll book in a sitter on Friday for a few hours too. Will give me some time to get a bit work done at least.

Stinkycleanhouse thank you I think we will push the council more for an offer in a different school. The school we applied for starts today so we are hoping for a no-show. Fingers crossed x

OP’s posts: |
Crazycatsandkids Wed 06-Sep-17 13:13:16

Good luck today, it can be hard but I remember when mine started they had a few spaces left over within the few first weeks of reception so you may be fine!

Laska5772 Wed 06-Sep-17 13:25:50

My DGS does not have a school place either.. he is not 5 until december though.. Do primary school still have staggered starts?
i.e. start in January? they have recently moved and DGs mum says he was down to start now t but she is still waiting to hear back but he is on list..

cyclingwidowforaday Wed 06-Sep-17 13:37:15

I don't know the exact timeframes but it can take a little while (couple of weeks?) from a 'no-show' to a place being available to offer (the school, parents and la have to go through formal steps)

So-sit tight! Even if a place doesn't come up in week 1, I'd give it a bit more time before settling for something that might not be your first choice.

I know at my local school (am governor there) they've had a number of children not come back, but can't yet offer places out...

ljny Wed 06-Sep-17 14:15:29

What cyclingwidow said. It's usually two weeks into term before they can start offering places.

If you've moved into London, research very carefully which schools still have vacancies. You really don't want your child at a distant dump school, even to solve a few weeks childcare.

Technically the council should be offering you the closest vacancy (if they have any) but realistically they are likely doing you a favour!

EvilDoctorBallerinaDuckKeidis Wed 06-Sep-17 14:18:40

Whereabouts are you? Near me is a charity that does childcare for £9.50 an hour. They're very good.

Anon511 Wed 06-Sep-17 20:51:30

Hi all - thanks for all the replies again. Just want to update with some happy news - DD1 is offered a place at our first choice school today! Needless to say we are ecstatic. The school suggested that we do an induction tomorrow or on Friday, then hopefully that means DD1 can start next Monday.

Can't wait!

OP’s posts: |
venys Wed 06-Sep-17 20:58:36

Hoorah. That's a load off!

EvilDoctorBallerinaDuckKeidis Wed 06-Sep-17 21:05:33

Yay! 😆

Laska5772 Wed 06-Sep-17 21:15:54

Keep Fingers crossed for us....

EvilDoctorBallerinaDuckKeidis Thu 07-Sep-17 10:15:18

Fingers, legs and eyes crossed! 😂

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in