Talk

Advanced search

Annotated alphabet 1990s - does anyone remember it?

(21 Posts)
Kabex Sat 15-Jul-17 16:28:04

I had a great book about the alphabet growing up and a poster too of all of the letters and an illustration to go with each. This was the late 80s/early 90s. Does anyone remember this and know it's name or how I could find it? I would love to show it to my DCs

OP’s posts: |
Tomorrowillbeachicken Sat 15-Jul-17 16:30:13

letterland?

RagamuffinCat Sat 15-Jul-17 16:36:29

I was also going to say Letterland. I have great memories of Letterland!

Kabex Sat 15-Jul-17 16:44:14

Yes I think it was letterland! Just looked it up and its seems to be brightly coloured now and I feel like it used to be pastle colours way back when. I wonder if any second hand sites would have any 'vintage' versions

missmapp Sat 15-Jul-17 16:46:46

Hairy hat man always worried me !

Kabex Sat 15-Jul-17 16:47:25

Ebay have lots! I remember that story book so well - I'm pretty sure I had it on video as my dad worked in a school back then and recorded it for me (to feel he was doing something educational when he had to look after me and DB )

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sat 15-Jul-17 17:06:49

I still use their names at times with my five year old when trying to spell things for him.

Waitingonasmile Sat 15-Jul-17 17:32:28

I loved letter land. Can never remember the X and Z ones though.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sat 15-Jul-17 19:28:48

yoyoman

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sat 15-Jul-17 19:29:59

kissing cousins at one point but was changed later

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sat 15-Jul-17 19:30:11

yellow yoyoman

Kabex Sat 15-Jul-17 20:19:31

Kissing cousins! So inappropriate now I think about it :'D I don't remember hairy hat man but kicking king and quarrelsome queen where big favourites

Paperclipmover Sun 16-Jul-17 14:48:33

Annie Apple
Benjamin Bunny
clever Cat
dippy Duck
E
Fireman Fred?
Good Girl ( and her glasses)
Hairy Hatman
Ippy Ink ( what the @ was that all about?)
J
Kicking King
I'm so bored sitting in this park I could go on...

Paperclipmover Sun 16-Jul-17 15:22:05

I had the Teachers book from the early 90s until recently, I think I threw it in a fit of tidying. I am pretty sure it was mostly primary colours rather than pastels.

My brother is 5 years younger than me and was taught using LetterLand, so about 1980. I had no idea that letters made sounds up to that point, I just memorised words. I sat and poured over it trying to work it all out. I never really understood what sound X was supposed to make.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 16-Jul-17 17:01:48

I thought it was golden girl. Was Ellie Elephant I think. Jumping Jack?

Deploycharitygoats Sun 16-Jul-17 17:07:43

Recently went to see a preschool (not in the uk) where they were extremely proud of the new and shiny phonics system they were introducing. Yup, Letterland. So older than me grin

Bumponhead Sun 16-Jul-17 17:20:32

I'm sure L was the lamp lady as my name begins with L! Loved those but can't remember most of them.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 16-Jul-17 18:12:44

I was born early 80s deploy

Deploycharitygoats Sun 16-Jul-17 18:45:25

There website says they've been going for 45 years!

Poor preschool manager, she was really selling the "extremely modern" angle, only for DH and I to go "ohhh, kicking king! Yeah, we grew up with that!" the second she said Letterland. At least there was no one else around.

Deploycharitygoats Sun 16-Jul-17 18:45:59

Their

Bloody phone making me look illiterate!

Paperclipmover Sun 16-Jul-17 21:03:34

I hadn't thrown the book away, it's Readingand Writing with LetterLand-Parents Guide.

It was Golden Girl and Z is Zig-Zag Zebra, Eddy Elephant and yes Lamp Lady Lucy. M is Munching Mike although I am sure we called it Metal Mickey.

I spent years thinking that "q" made a kW sound because of it and trying to work out why "queen" was said like that when "q" was kW and "u" was uh . Kwuheen.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in