Talk

Advanced search

How to address the headteacher

(17 Posts)
IamAporcupine Thu 13-Jul-17 14:49:03

Just replying to an email from the headteacher, how should I address her? By her full name? Her surname? Her name?
She signed hers with just her first name (and below there was one of those standard email signatures with all the details)
She is very approachable, the school is very small in case that changes anything.

I am tempted to just use her first name but I am worried I might be getting it completely wrong!

OP’s posts: |
BrieOnAnOatcake Thu 13-Jul-17 14:50:21

Mrs x/ms x

IamAporcupine Thu 13-Jul-17 14:52:43

By the way, she addressed me by my first name

JennyOnAPlate Thu 13-Jul-17 14:53:16

No don't use her first name.

GreeboIsACutePussPuss Thu 13-Jul-17 15:35:15

Miss/Mrs/Ms [surname], unless she's specifically said please call me [name]

oigetoffmycheese Thu 13-Jul-17 15:36:55

Always used first name. No one has ever said anything.

Knottyknitter Thu 13-Jul-17 15:38:13

She used both her and your first names so stick with that

Eolian Thu 13-Jul-17 15:38:31

If she addressed you by your first name and signed off with her first name, I'd see that as an invitation to use her first name.

user1498911470 Thu 13-Jul-17 15:40:41

Use her first name, she has used yours. However, if you don't like her using your first name then reply and call her Mrs X and sign off with your title and name.

flowery Thu 13-Jul-17 15:41:42

If she's used yours and signed off with hers I'd say you are fine to use hers.

ParadiseCity Thu 13-Jul-17 15:41:55

I'd match what she has put, she sounds nice.

DelphiniumBlue Thu 13-Jul-17 15:42:32

Yes,if she has addressed you by your first name, then you should reply using hers.

TeenAndTween Thu 13-Jul-17 15:56:10

I always use Mr/Miss/Mrs/Ms for teachers.
I can't bring myself not to, even in PTA meetings when they say 'call me <first name>'.

IamAporcupine Thu 13-Jul-17 15:57:30

thank you everyone

If she addressed you by your first name and signed off with her first name, I'd see that as an invitation to use her first name.

This was exactly as I saw it, but was worried I might have misunderstood.
She seems very unconventional too

Glumglowworm Thu 13-Jul-17 19:16:27

As she's used your first name and signed using her first name, I would address her using her first name

Generally I would call headteachers Mrs/Miss/Mr Surname though

Starlight2345 Thu 13-Jul-17 21:31:51

I agree in general to the if they use first names. However the head phones me and says it is first and last name.. I always call her Mrs Last name. Part of the reason is actually I don't want to be her friend or informal. She has been incredibly supportive however I need her in mine and my DS's life as a professional.

Edna1969 Thu 13-Jul-17 21:45:19

I'm CofG at my daughters school and am friends with the head, deputy and my DDs teachers.

If its not about my daughters education or behaviours at school I call them by their first names and they do me. However if it is I call them Mrs last name and they call me Mrs Edna. Its more formal but more appropriate to the situation to treat me like any other parent.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in