Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Recommend a workbook!

(10 Posts)
oncewasawarrior Tue 11-Jul-17 17:28:28

Year 1 son just got his report.
Reading between the lines it says he's clever but lazy and coasting, and he's not producing a lot of writing.
I think I need to do a bit of work with him over the holidays, especially on writing. Can anyone recommend a workbook that has short writing exercises in?

sirfredfredgeorge Tue 11-Jul-17 17:55:34

Would it not be better to simply try and get him to write more that he's interested in? Diary, stories or something?

What exactly does he need to practice?

oncewasawarrior Tue 11-Jul-17 18:03:34

I've tried that with less success. He's a very orderly child and I hope the workbook will give him something tangible to do instead of him sitting looking blankly at a page. I also work full time and so he's all over the place in the sumner- I thought it would give him some structure and something to aim to complete.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Tue 11-Jul-17 18:04:05

Aldi have got a few coming up in their back to school event next week. All different subjects and ages.

LiveLifeWithPassion Tue 11-Jul-17 18:10:30

I've used carol border man for maths but not English or writing.
For writing, I googled ideas and there's a lot out there. Lots of titles or a first line for children to use to write some stories.
My Dcs also enjoyed writing their own chapter books on the laptop and making up their own comics.

LiveLifeWithPassion Tue 11-Jul-17 18:11:30

Carol Vorderman, of course. It was definitely correct before I posted!

Coconut0il Tue 11-Jul-17 21:17:03

Would you have a bit of time to make him something? You could focus it on his interests then. He could have a page/task for each day.
Could be something small like 'write 4 sentences abut something you've enjoyed today' or you could ask him to draw a picture of a new pokemon (or whatever he's interested in) and write a few sentences to describe it. Maybe stick a picture on a page and ask him to describe it. He could write some facts about something he's interested in?
Coloured paper for the cover, he could decorate it. Little and often and linked to his interests is my advice.

auserinamillion Tue 11-Jul-17 21:22:59

I get my daughters from amazon. Just check out the reviews for which ever topic / ks you want

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 11-Jul-17 21:29:29

Mine like the Collins ones.

Also if you have day trips/ holidays planned over the summer mine always do a journal. We get a postcard from where we've visited (which cuts out 'can we get something's' in the shop) & they write as much as they like about the trip & anything else they've done in the week. I buy the half lined/half blank exercise books from amazon. They're really nice to look back on too.

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Tue 11-Jul-17 22:10:06

A workbook aimed at a year 1 level will mainly focus on phonics and letter formation rather than on producing a good quality (and quantity) of writing.
The best way to get him writing is to give him lots of real life reasons for writing or writing for an audience.
Thinks like writing a shopping list, holiday packing list etc.
A letter to granny
A book review for a friend
A bedtime story for a younger relative (give some pictures etc to help to plan this)
A diary
Do a science experiment and get him to write an explanation
Etc

Little and often will be key for him. Making writing a chore will only make him less inclined to do it.
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now