Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Wales primary school test results

(8 Posts)
Ifitquackslikeaduck Tue 11-Jul-17 12:37:17

Can anyone explain the Welsh school levels to me please.

The scores for the recent tests are between 0-140 but they also have for on their reports for English and maths a level 'x' as well. Anyone know what that is and where it's defined?

I've looked on the Wales gov site but can't find anything about levels.

massistar Tue 11-Jul-17 13:05:38

Hi. Did you not get an explanatory sheet along with the results? The X denotes where they fall in relation to their peers..

creampie Tue 11-Jul-17 13:10:43

Also they only test English in yr6 not yr2 so that is n/a or an x, I can't remember. Is that what you mean?

Ifitquackslikeaduck Tue 11-Jul-17 13:45:10

Yes, we got that but it only explains the results of that particular test not what the levels are so they might have something like 110 in the test but also be on level 4 or whatever. It's the level 'x' I don't get.

massistar Tue 11-Jul-17 15:18:35

Ahhh I see what you mean. Are you talking about the end of KS1 or KS2 levels? My son got those on his report last year at the end of y6 but nothing for my daughter finishing Y3 now.

This is the best explanation I could find, does this help?

www.caerphilly.gov.uk/CaerphillyDocs/Schools/How-is-your-child-doing-at-Primary-School.aspx

Ifitquackslikeaduck Wed 12-Jul-17 13:18:29

Yes! That's the thing. Thanks.

Presumably these go on to secondary school as they talk about level 6+?

massistar Wed 12-Jul-17 14:35:18

No problem! Yes, they go on to KS3. DS has just finished Y7 and for all his subjects he got a current level and an expected level.

DrMadelineMaxwell Wed 12-Jul-17 21:27:40

THe tests in Wales are for every year group from year 2 to year 9. They don't do meeting/exceeding in Wales, it's still levels and in these tests, standardised scores.

They score them, then standardise their score. The x shows where their score falls on the continuum. On the next page you should get a bar graph for each subject (reading, numeracy and numerical reasoning) and the x shows where they are in relation to their year group. As your child goes through the different years, you get several bars next to each other for each subject so you can compare how they have done year on year.

And a statement that summarises whether their progress exceeds or is in line or lower than last year's score.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now