Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Special schools in Birmingham

(21 Posts)
Naz786 Sat 08-Jul-17 22:09:59

Can anyone recommend a good special school in Birmingham for a child with asd?

Shakirasma Sat 08-Jul-17 23:27:30

Does the child have learning difficulties? What side of Birmingham?

Marmaladeorange Sat 08-Jul-17 23:29:01

Uffculme, Dame Ellen Pinsent. Both in South Birmingham (kings Heath/yardley wood area)

BackforGood Sun 09-Jul-17 00:56:27

What age?
What does it say on their EHC about provision ?
Which side of the City?
"Just" ASD or with another condition ?
Do you also want to include Resource Bases?

Are you moving to the City ?
Are you aware there are nowhere near enough places for the families that require them ?

Naz786 Mon 10-Jul-17 07:07:23

Hi I live in smethwick Birmingham my son is nearly 5 and are struggling to find a primary school in Sandwell so now looking at Birmingham schools

Naz786 Mon 10-Jul-17 07:10:20

My son understands a lot but can't put a sentence together I did look at focus provision schools in Sandwell but they cannot meet his own needs. He talks to himself and repeats to himself so much I'm thinking perhaps a special school is best. I'm worried he may get bullied at any other school

Ginmummy1 Mon 10-Jul-17 12:30:27

I'm confused by the timing. If your son is nearly 5, surely you'll have applied to schools in January, and will have been allocated a school by now (whether mainstream or special), to start in September.

If Sandwell can't provide for him, won't they recommend options in neighbouring council areas? (of which Birmingham is the obvious one if you're in Smethwick, but there are others)

I don't know a great deal about the process, but I don't think you can just choose to send your child to a special school. Don't they need a referral?

Or are you considering going private?

BubblesBuddy Mon 10-Jul-17 13:52:07

You cannot just apply to a sate special school. Pre school children with difficulties should have been picked up by nursery and health visitors as progress and development is checked. You should apply to your local school and work with them regarding his development and needs. Your catchment school cannot reject him because of special educational needs. Do you have a place at your local school? If he is not at school, you need to talk urgently to the admissions team at your local authority to see what places are available in primary schools. You cannot, though, get straight into a special school. If you want a private one, then you need very deep pockets.

BackforGood Mon 10-Jul-17 17:15:02

Have to agree with other posters.
Birmingham has nowhere near enough special school places for all the Birmingham children who need them, and whose families want them, and who have all the right things written on their EHC plans. You won't be able to 'choose' somewhere and have your ds go there I'm afraid.

Does he have a finalised EHC (Education, Health, Care Plan)? Or is it going through ?
Is he 5 before the end of August (ie at the end of his Reception year) or is he at the end of his Nursery year?

Do you have anyone - for example staff at the Nursery - supporting you at the moment ?

Naz786 Mon 10-Jul-17 18:23:13

Hello ds is 5 he is still at nursery and gets xtra help at nursery ehc plan took too long and is complete he is 5 on 11 august

Naz786 Mon 10-Jul-17 18:23:46

Hello ds is 5 he is still at nursery and gets xtra help at nursery ehc plan took too long and is complete he is 5 on 11 august

Spottytop1 Mon 10-Jul-17 18:26:00

What school is named on his EHCP?

Naz786 Mon 10-Jul-17 19:49:04

It does not have a specific school on the ehc plan

BubblesBuddy Mon 10-Jul-17 21:15:05

This should be reviewed before starting school. Speak to the key worker at the nursery. Have you applied to your catchment school? Does he have a school to go to?

KingsHeathen Mon 10-Jul-17 21:32:40

I agree with others- there aren't enough places for Birmingham children with ASD, let alone children from outside the borough. Those days are long gone. Have you applied for a reception place, and been allocated one? (Mainstream I presume, as timescales would mean the application happened before his ehc being done).
I should think that the only way he'd get a place in a Birmingham school would be if you moved into Birmingham. And that wouldn't happen quickly, as it would have to go through senar, and their timescales are.....

cantkeepawayforever Mon 10-Jul-17 22:16:39

So you have a child of Reception age, who you have perhaps deferred reception entry for (as is now possible, with agreement, for summer born children) OR the school has decided to keep in school nursery rather than reception as best placed to meet his needs?

You have an allocated school place, I presume, but are wondering whether a Special school would suit his needs better?

You need to work with the nursery, your allocated school and its SENDCo, and the council, to identify whether a specific school would meet his needs best. You can't 'apply direct', and certainly not just on the basis of 'being behind' or 'perhaps being bullied'. IME, the threshold for special school admission is EXTREMELY high, with many children years behind their chronological age in terms of development being integrated into mainstream.

cantkeepawayforever Mon 10-Jul-17 22:18:30

I would also say that IME children with ASD in primary are most often accommodated in mainstream schools but often with significant 1:1 support hours to enable their needs to be met.

Naz786 Tue 11-Jul-17 00:31:29

Thank you for your reply yes my son is at nursery. Deferred reception as I was told that would be better for him. We moved from Birmingham to Sandwell recently and waiting to hear from Sen. I chose 2 schools with focus provision in place for kids with asd and both say they cant meet his needs.i was told by Sen I can name a few schools and they can try to apply for those. So I was wondering if I should put a few names of special schools down

Naz786 Tue 11-Jul-17 00:33:20

We haven't been allocated a school yet

Dottymum2 Tue 11-Jul-17 11:08:23

Hi have you looked at the Orchard in Langley or Halesbury in Halesowen under Dudley LEA, I know these are both special schools and Halesbury definitely caters for Asd children.
Hope that helps x

g.co/kgs/rA6Ebm

BubblesBuddy Tue 11-Jul-17 13:01:33

It will not help because Naz does not have a statement for her DC naming one of these schools!!!

Therefore she must go to her LA and talk about what schools have places as she has deferred and is now a late application in her new LA. The important thing is to get a school and, as a late applicant, it is difficult and choice will be limited to where there is a space. This may not, of course, be a school you want. Flexibility on your part will be important and getting help from the nursery to support his transition is a good idea but contacting the LA to find out what schools actually have places is vital. If they have a space, a child cannot be turned away. He does not have a statement naming any school so the school must provide for his needs. They cannot discriminate if they have a space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now