Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

End of year reports

(14 Posts)
Mamabear12 Thu 29-Jun-17 19:33:02

Do children only get reports end of year? Growing up we called them report cards and got them four times a year. My dd is young and only in reception. She got one in nursery and now due to get one end of year reception. But does it ever get more frequent when they are older and start doing more work?

halcyondays Thu 29-Jun-17 19:35:04

Only ever been end of year for us. Are report cards American?

dailymailarecunts Thu 29-Jun-17 19:36:39

Ds is reception and gets a report at Christmas and again just now. He has 3 parents evenings a year too...... it's very full on considering I see his teacher every day as well, but I do love knowing how he is doing.

Sittinginthesun Thu 29-Jun-17 19:37:09

In my experience, a single end of year report in primary school (but two parent's consultations during autumn and spring terms).

Secondary, we get termly report sheets, which are more to do with levels and attitude.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Thu 29-Jun-17 20:05:03

Once a year here at our school but three parents evenings a year.

irvineoneohone Thu 29-Jun-17 20:07:39

At my ds's school, we get termly(more in time for parents' eve) short reports with current achievement/level and targets for maths and English. And detailed report at the end of year. Same for all years, from reception to YR6.

MiaowTheCat Thu 29-Jun-17 20:09:48

Not seen any mention of when they come out at DD1's school - I assume we get them at some point, have had parents evenings in the Autumn (how they've settled in basically) and Spring terms. I know how she's doing in most stuff though to be honest - only Maths, which she doesn't actively seek out given a choice, that I'll be interested to hear about (fairly sure she's good but not exceptional in it - she's pretty much top of the class in Literacy).

RedSkyAtNight Thu 29-Jun-17 21:43:11

End of year only in primary school; every term in secondary.

Witchend Thu 29-Jun-17 22:40:19

We get primary aged once a year, which for a fair number of teachers it's a case of automatic report generator phrases.

Secondary we do get 3 a year, but no comments, just grades which as far as I can tell are plucked out of thin air and may bear some relation on how your child is doing, but as you can't tell whether a 4+ or 9- is good for their year group/current teacher etc it's a total waste of everyone's time.

Ginmummy1 Fri 30-Jun-17 09:54:25

At DD’s primary it seems to go like this:

•October – parents’ evening
•December – report
•February – parents’ evening
•April – report
•July – ‘learning showcase’ (look at books, teacher available)
•July – report

Looking at the general responses, it seems that get more than most.
In Reception each report contained a sheet indicating progress towards each of the 17 early learning goals, and a lengthy piece of prose from the teacher. I concluded that she actually liked writing these reports, as it did not read remotely like ‘stock phrases’ yet covered all of the things you’d want to know, including specific examples.

In Y1 so far the reports have had short sections for each subject, containing a ‘home learning attitude’ score but no grade and a couple of stock phrases describing what the class has done, what the child can do and what is coming next. Not so informative. I’m hoping the end of year report will give a better indication of attainment levels, but won’t hold my breath!

LandofTute Fri 30-Jun-17 09:56:58

Once a year at primary school. Three times a year at high school. Two of those are grades only (academic grades and effort/behaviour grades) and once has comments too.

Mamabear12 Fri 30-Jun-17 10:56:00

Thanks for the feedback. And yes, I am American, and we called them report cards growing up, which we received 4 times a year. I wish it were the same here. I like to see how my dd is doing in different areas. We do get two parent meetings a year as well. The teachers update me, but I like to get on paper as well. Ah well.

LandofTute Fri 30-Jun-17 11:22:01

Come to think of it, in the last couple of years we've been given a print out of grades at the autumn and spring parents evenings at primary school.

irvineoneohone Fri 30-Jun-17 17:10:48

I went to school in US, and I received report cards. Nothing different from what we get at our ds's school, only difference is we only get it twice, in autumn and spring and doesn't contain all the subject but maths and English. But the English end of year summer report is way better than what I got from American school, it only told you you got A to F or whatever as a grade, no detailed personal comment on individual children. But it was looooooong time ago, so it mght have changed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now