Talk

Advanced search

Grammar school

(22 Posts)
holbycityaddict Thu 22-Jun-17 10:33:42

I could cry at the cost of private school for monkey but it's the best school would you fork out 22 k a year for junior school
I don't like any other school what would u do???

fluffandsnuff Thu 22-Jun-17 10:35:18

Might want to change your thread title- people might think you're talking about state grammar schools (I did!) smile

2014newme Thu 22-Jun-17 10:35:44

What we would do is irrelevant as it depends on your local schools and financial circumstances. if you can afford £22k per annum for the school you prefer, go ahead. If youcant, then don't.

holbycityaddict Thu 22-Jun-17 12:05:48

How do I edit the title

PatriciaHolm Thu 22-Jun-17 12:39:52

You can't edit it, ask MN or start another thread.

Depends whether you can afford it, and whether you genuinely believe it would be the best place for your child. Why don't you like anywhere else?

RedSkyAtNight Thu 22-Jun-17 13:06:42

Is it 22K better than the next best school?
How would your life have to change if you paid the fees?

CruCru Thu 22-Jun-17 15:11:44

Gosh, which school is it? I thought The American School was the most expensive primary in London and that is only £21k a year. Unless, of course, you are looking at a boarding prep school.

CruCru Thu 22-Jun-17 15:15:09

Ah, sorry, ASL is more like £24 a year.

BarbarianMum Thu 22-Jun-17 15:22:51

I wouldn't dream of it. But if thats the only school you are happy with you'll have to pay, or move or home ed. Can't imagine what this one school might offer that no other can though.

NerrSnerr Thu 22-Jun-17 15:25:43

Can you afford it and what are the alternatives like? We couldn't afford it so not an option but if we had the ££ we'd only consider it if the alternatives were dire.

holbycityaddict Thu 22-Jun-17 20:39:00

I can afford it he has a trust fund for back up and the school is amazing it has private tennis courts they study equestrian riding mandarin Spanish English literature taught by a Cambridge university lecturer and field trips to London Paris Switzerland Germany they have an amazing facility beautiful grounds as well as studying music and drama and other subjects and the classes are small so they get more one on one education

PatriciaHolm Thu 22-Jun-17 20:58:53

You say on another post that he's nearly 5 - so you are thinking ahead a bit surely, as that is surely secondary? I don't believe i know any UK preps that cost 22k for infants!

Caroian Thu 22-Jun-17 21:00:09

No, I wouldn't pay that.

My son goes to a far, far less expensive prep school which had private tennis courts, teaches french, music and drama, and has small classes (plus many other things - but picking up on what you have listed). I've no need for him to learn mandarin - especially at age 5 - and if he wants to learn to ride he can do so locally much more cheaply than by forking out thousands extra in school fees. He's been to many countries and cities - including France, Germany and Switzerland - with us, so I don't need the school to provide that either.

But it isn't about what I'd do. Do you genuinely think this is the right school for your child and your family, and can you afford to send them there without ridiculous sacrifices in your lifestyle.

lostin2017 Thu 22-Jun-17 21:22:18

I pay £9k a year for grammar school. Can just about afford it, have wondered on occasion if it is worth it - but DD loves it and is very happy there. The type of child she is I'm not sure she would do so well elsewhere, but can't say as the only other school she was at was private and she wasn't doing so well at (was much more academic). Couldn't send her to a £22k p.a. grammar as personally just couldn't afford it. I will carry on sending her there as I can just about manage it and I think I'm doing the best I can for her and she is so happy there and doing well as far as she is capable of. If you believe this is the right school for your child and you can afford it then do it. I thought the previous private school was the right choice, which I think it was at the time but as she got older it became clear that it wasn't and I had to make a different decision. Not sure if that helps confused

AnotherNewt Thu 22-Jun-17 21:34:04

Garden House School in London has broken the £7k per term barrier for fees. Can't think of many others at prep level, though, where even in London it's often still in the £5ks. Secondary £5k-£8.5k per term, might be more for some sixth forms.

If you don't like any other schools, then this is obviously the one to go for. I'm assuming that the rather more important things, such as ethos, pastoral care and leavers' destinations are of a suitable standard.

Didiplanthis Thu 22-Jun-17 23:03:05

What is a fee paying grammar school ? I know some old grammars are now private but dont they usually rename ?

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 22-Jun-17 23:12:00

The things you describe are all fairly standard for private schools so you could look at others in the area that are cheaper, especially for prep. If you can afford it why are you questioning sending DS there on here?

user1497480444 Fri 23-Jun-17 04:11:25

well, our household income is 18k a year, so no, I wouldn't fork out 22k a year.

However, if you can afford it, please do go ahead, it leaves more state grammar school places open for children like mine

AnotherNewt Fri 23-Jun-17 07:03:19

"but dont they usually rename ?"

No, not usually.

I do rather agree that the list of facilities/curriculum/trips/staff isn't exceptional for private schools, and would not justify being about £2k per term more than London preps. There may be factors other than those she posted that OP finds important.

jamdonut Fri 23-Jun-17 07:34:28

If you think equestrian riding is important and speaking mandarin and having a Cambridge lecturer ( ask yourself why s/he is teaching young children instead of lecturing at Cambridge), are totally important you ought to do it.

The rest of us manage perfectly well without these things .

familyiswhatmatters Fri 23-Jun-17 20:57:04

I live in Ireland where schools are crap and the only school any good is the private school but It would mean a lot of cut backs there's one private school per 100km so to live 10 minute walk from one is exceptional good luck and he's been accepted into it so in my opinion it's worth it as they cater for his interests

Moominmammacat Sat 24-Jun-17 11:50:12

Equestrian and small classes aside, my DCs got that lot at my local state comp. Three children, £309,000 per child from YR to Y13 ... that's £927,00 I've saved!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now