Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How are reception classes worked out?

(22 Posts)
mackintoshmaster Tue 20-Jun-17 22:13:20

In a two form entry school?

I was surprised to find all my sons peers going to our local school from a private nursery (about 6) were in the other class, as well as a couple of others I knew.

Probably random coincidence or do they look at setting that early? confused

YoullNeverWeeAlone Tue 20-Jun-17 22:15:43

How would they set them? It will be random, although boy:girl split and age range likely to play a part.

Squishedstrawberry4 Tue 20-Jun-17 22:16:08

It will be friendship groups not setting

totallyliterally Tue 20-Jun-17 22:16:28

They would have talked to the nursery before deciding, that's what usually happens

bastedyoungturkey Tue 20-Jun-17 22:17:42

I will be however the school decide. Any of the answers given so far might be correct, or something entirely different. You'll only know if you ask them directly.

Sunnie1984 Tue 20-Jun-17 22:25:27

Our school try to do even numbers of boys and girls in each class and a good mix of ages, so one class doesn't have all the august babies etc.

Not much thought given to nursery friendship groups at all.

AuditAngel Tue 20-Jun-17 22:28:04

They will split nursery groups though. In DD2's year about 11 children transferred from her nursery, they were split between the classes, however, they were an unusual year group as there were 27 siblings admitted in a year group of 60

ceeveebee Tue 20-Jun-17 22:42:17

There were 7 children from our private nursery went to the same school, including my twins. All except my DS were put in the same class. But he didn't really care as was more bothered about playing with the new toys!

QuackDuckQuack Tue 20-Jun-17 23:11:58

Ours are worked out to give as much balance as possible in terms of boy/girl, age, ability (and possibly more). The reception teachers visit every nursery/preschool that has a child going onto our school and discusses each child with the nursery staff. It would probably be 5 or 6 nurseries as it is a rural area. They try to place all children with a few children they know from nursery. This either mean so they split them between the classes evenly because there are lots from that setting or they put them all in one class because there aren't very many coming from there.

So I'd say that they are just putting those 6 together because they know each other and nothing more sinister than that.

It's interesting to see that nursery friendships do seem to continue well into school as well as new friendships develop. It has made me rethink how I approach the preschool year for my DD2 to ensure that she has a good range of relationships before starting school.

Witchend Tue 20-Jun-17 23:23:15

Our infant used to do:
List girls by age, list boys by age.
Go down each list alternating classes.

About 1/2 to 3/4 of the children came from 2 local preschools. In dd1's year all from her preschool except 2 went into her form (and one was a twin so automatically separated) and from the other preschool they had one in their form and the rest in the other.
That wasn't the only year that it happened that all except one, or even all from one preschool went into the same class in the 9 years I was associated with the school, although it didn't happen to both preschools again.

Strawberrybubblebath Tue 20-Jun-17 23:50:38

A bit of an aside but schools shouldn't be automatically separating twins. Twins need to be treated as individuals not have a blanket policy to always be separated/together.
Some twins benefit from being together as they start school. Some are better apart. Each child needs to be looked at individually and the parents asked their preferences.
Research from TAMBA shows a lot of benefit from keeping them together on entry to Reception but parents knowledge of the individual children is key.

NotCitrus Wed 21-Jun-17 00:06:54

Also they may split children with the same name - 3fe here and each class has an Amelia, an Emily, a Dylan, an Abdul... Also language groups are split, but the class with the TA who is an expert in language acquisition seems to have a bunch of kids with SLTs - not sure if that's abovevaverage though.

mackintoshmaster Wed 21-Jun-17 05:32:24

Thanks for replies. Don't know if I'll be a pushy parent to ask - if they asked the nursery I know they'd have said ds was very close to a little girl in particular since 18 mo and at least one other. I'm a teacher but not in that setting so don't want to be that fussy parent! But trying to work out if it matters.

I know there might be non takers so I don't know whether to ask or not. On the other hand ds has been known to compare his (lesser) writing skills with the girls so might be a good thing!

They all mix up in reception and I think stream in y1 for lit and num so probably not an issue.

I guess we've all been taking about which school they're going to and with who so feel bad they're different classes.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 21-Jun-17 05:40:45

You can ask -.I know children shuffled before admission, however after admission it didn't happen in the school I know. If you don't ask then they won't consider doing it because they just won't think about it. I wouldn't make a big fuss though and they do soon settle and make new friends.

Lostinaseaofbubbles Wed 21-Jun-17 06:01:06

Ours have done it on age. My son is split from some of his nursery friends.

MiaowTheCat Wed 21-Jun-17 07:46:02

I think ours tended to split the bigger personalities in the class across the two teachers - judging from how they did it with the cohort that went up with DD1's nursery class - both teachers got a livewire from the nursery each (yep, DD1 is one of the livewires). I know that her class teacher is the FS lead and has taken DD2 from the intake going in for her class (we've already had a short meeting about DD2's issues just between us since I'm there doing drop off every day) as DD2's got a few issues with speech development and obviously she knows this teacher very well as she's been along with me to so many school events she thinks she already goes there sometimes!

I worried endlessly last year when DD1 was split up from the kids she got on with who went up with her (there were only a few from her nursery who went to the same school) and got put with her arch-enemy from preschool - but they got on just fine and I'm so laid back about it now I couldn't even tell you who DD2's going up with (I've chatted much less to the preschool mums this year just with time constraints)! Amusingly DD1's best friend has a sibling also starting - the pair of them have already arranged that the little ones WILL be best friends too and will be sitting together at lunchtime - their sisters get no say in this whatsoever!

I just take solace in the fact DD1 obviously hasn't traumatised her teacher so much she's ran away screaming in terror at Miaow's kids the sequel descending the following year!

TheWildRumpyPumpus Wed 21-Jun-17 07:48:26

Ours was alphabetical with a few children shifted around to make boy/girl split equal

rollonthesummer Wed 21-Jun-17 07:51:15

We try to sort classes so that each EYFS teacher ends up with a fairly even split of boys/girls, summer borns, PP, known SEN, medical needs etc

Two of your posts have mentioned setting/streaming-that's something that wouldn't be on my radar if my child was at pre school! I say that as a teacher whose children all ended up at grammar school.

Butterymuffin Wed 21-Jun-17 07:59:01

In my DS's class when he started reception there were 3 boys with the same name and 3 girls with the same or very similar names. None in the other class. You'd think they'd at least have put one of each in another class. So I'm not convinced it's always carefully thought about. How on earth would you stream/set four year olds anyway?

MarklahMarklah Wed 21-Jun-17 08:16:11

AFAIK our school mix children to allow the greatest diversity in each class in reception.
Teachers visit all the nurseries and do home visits to meet incoming children, and the class lists are based on a number of factors, including personality, ability ( can they dress themselves, etc) and to try to get an even split of boys/girls. They will also try not to have several children with the same or very similar names all in the one class intake.

mackintoshmaster Wed 21-Jun-17 08:18:45

Thanks, they start streaming in year 1 confused

rollonthesummer Wed 21-Jun-17 08:33:34

Why would you send a child to a school that streams in year 1?!

Or do you actually mean setting?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now