Holiday during term time - fine

(24 Posts)
user14809fhfdgg Thu 01-Jun-17 23:48:19

Hi I just wondered how many people

A had their holiday approved and why
B had a fine and how much / what was your child's attendance like

TIA

rhinorocks Fri 02-Jun-17 13:15:36

Are you journalist? (or wannabe journalist more like) Maybe hit the streets and get some real news rather than trying to get easy hits on here.

user14809fhfdgg Fri 02-Jun-17 13:41:23

What?

ASauvingnonADay Fri 02-Jun-17 13:43:31

Very few have their holiday approved. Whether you are fined largely depends on your school/local authority. The fine is fixed - £60 per parent per child for the absence, although if you don't pay you may be prosecuted and the fine can be a lot more (thousands).

TittyGolightly Fri 02-Jun-17 13:48:57

Have had many term time holidays and never been fined. (Can have up to 2 weeks out of school in wales).

user14809fhfdgg Fri 02-Jun-17 13:54:20

I think it's a difficult one as it varies on the area and the school.
I heard if you have above 98% schools are more liniment.

pieceofpurplesky Fri 02-Jun-17 14:04:36

Schools will not authorise holidays now without a good reason. Nothing to do with attendance.

Kennethnoisewater Fri 02-Jun-17 14:11:12

You won't get a holiday authorised whatever your 'excuse' I take mine out every year, never been fined. As long as your child has never had more than 15 days unauthorised absence our LEA doesn't fine.

Hoppinggreen Fri 02-Jun-17 14:13:37

Never had one authorised and never been fined, would happily pay it if I was though

2014newme Fri 02-Jun-17 17:36:02

I don't even ask for Authorisation I just tell school we are taking unauthorised absence. I take a week each year, never been fined.
HT s are not allowed to authorise holidays.

ASauvingnonADay Fri 02-Jun-17 17:45:13

Schools deciding not to fine won't last following the Jon Platt case.

2014newme Fri 02-Jun-17 18:01:19

Our school haven't fined us in 5 years taking kids out for hols, so I don't think Jon platt Williams any difference. Nobody at our school had ever been fined.

EwanWhosearmy Fri 02-Jun-17 18:11:49

Our HT fines and says it's her decision. DD's friend's mum has been fined 3 times this year!

user14809fhfdgg Fri 02-Jun-17 18:38:47

I wasn't sure if it was a myth to discourage parents. My eldest is now in year 2. We have taken her out of school for 5 days when she was in reception but she was 4 then. My youngest has just turned 5 so I'm thinking we could be fined £220 😬😬

user14809fhfdgg Fri 02-Jun-17 18:39:23

I haven't booked anywhere yet. I'm
Contemplating waiting until the 6 weeks holidays x

user14809fhfdgg Fri 02-Jun-17 18:40:44

Youngest hadn't missed a day and eldest has had 3 sickness days.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 02-Jun-17 18:43:15

Schooling isn't compulsory until the term after the 5th birthday is it?

In which case, if your youngest has turned 5 since Easter, then you could only be fined for the elder child. So £120. Or £240 if I'm wrong & you need to pay for both.

TheHobbitMum Fri 02-Jun-17 18:43:27

For my last holiday I asked for 2x secondary school aged kids off and 2x primary aged children. I used the same letter sent to both schools and I had 1 authorised and 1 unauthorised but no fine. Both should've used the same guidelines for allowing a holiday so I don't understand why I had 2 different answers? Not complaining but it should be a consistent answer when the same circumstances are used.

BeyondThePage Fri 02-Jun-17 18:46:24

I wish they'd just decide.

No term time holidays, a fine, repeated infringement a criminal offence.

Term time holidays allowed (within reason), apply in advance, no fines.

Trouble is everyone can see them as a council cash cow which will be milked forever. How can it be so wrong to do it that they fine you, but not get a bigger fine/charged with an offence if you do it more than once, or often.

fleshmarketclose Fri 02-Jun-17 18:47:50

Authorised holidays (many) due to having disabled sibling and needing out of season holidays.HT considered it to be exceptional circumstances and (even though we haven't done) when I asked in secondary was told at admission that HT there would authorise as well so long as avoided tests/ exam weeks . Rarely had a day off ill so high nineties even after five days absence for holiday.

TittyGolightly Fri 02-Jun-17 19:07:22

In which case, if your youngest has turned 5 since Easter, then you could only be fined for the elder child. So £120. Or £240 if I'm wrong & you need to pay for both.

If you've accepted a school place you accept the rules of that school place.

user14809fhfdgg Fri 02-Jun-17 21:30:25

Sorry my mistake £240 not £220

livethroughthis Fri 02-Jun-17 21:37:39

We had one authorised , and one unauthorised and fined! ( different primaries on the same housing estate!) We used the same letter for both!
We paid the fine , and had included the possibility of it in our holiday budget. The only thing that slightly grates is that my friend takes her dc out twice a year and has done throughout Primary and has never been fined once! We did it once and were fined. I do feel it should be all or nothing and across the board not on the whim of different councils/schools.

Holidaygirlsummer Fri 02-Jun-17 21:46:38

Not fined as authorised.school my kids go to if you have 100% attendance .Then up to 10 days a year will be authorised.
Iv had 5 days authorised for 2 kids

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: