Talk

Advanced search

Going rate for 11+ private tuition?

(14 Posts)
Iris65 Wed 31-May-17 13:04:28

Any idea what private tutors are charging per hour? West Midlands ideally but it will help to get a picture of the rest of the country too.
Thanks

EmmaEC1V Tue 06-Jun-17 19:03:30

According to www.thetutorpages.com/private-tuition-fees it's probably about £32/hour in 2017.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 09-Jun-17 00:47:05

About £40/hr for 1:1, less if you're happy for a group. Trafford (NW)

Iris65 Sat 10-Jun-17 21:30:40

Thanks both!

PhilODox Sat 10-Jun-17 21:34:52

You could just do the prep yourself at home. There's loads of books available, and the 11+ forum is amazing.

Dottymum2 Sun 11-Jun-17 00:49:10

Paid £40 for 2 hour group tuition in west mids (couple of years ago)

GuestWW Sun 11-Jun-17 21:39:25

We £35 for 1hr15mins each week and that was 1:2 tuition. In the midlands.

SparkleSoiree Sun 11-Jun-17 21:42:39

We pay £35/hr on Surrey/Hants border just now, 1-1.

MaisyPops Sun 11-Jun-17 21:44:01

Seriously?! I only came on the thread to be nosy. Sorry.
People pay for 11+ what is typical for gcse tutoring up here.
That's insane. I'm in the wrong area of teaching. grin

blueshoes Sun 11-Jun-17 22:30:37

£35 per hour for 1:1 in London. Tutor comes to our house.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 12-Jun-17 21:22:49

maisy I think there is such competition to get into the local grammar schools, demand is far higher for 11+ than for GCSE. Our tutor was booked up 4yrs in advance.

QGMum Tue 13-Jun-17 08:01:29

I paid £60 per hour for 1:1 in London for dd1!

Dd1 got into the school I wanted though. But I did think it was very expensive and didn't get this tutor for dd2 but used a cheaper tutor. Despite being as bright as dd1 she didn't get into the same school. It's cost me a fortune as dd2 goes to a more expensive school which charges a lot more for extras. I still wonder what would have happened if I'd kept the £60 per hour tutor. Both were at state school so needed tuition for exam prep and I have no patience so couldn't diy.

Kazzyhoward Tue 13-Jun-17 08:16:54

We paid £40 per hour for 1:1, but that also included setting/marking homework outside that hour (so more like 1 1/2 hours of actual work/time), and the lessons were in a hired room in a church hall, so probably £5-£10 of the £40 would have been room hire costs. But he was excellent and well worth it. He created his own worksheets/materials, rather than using published books/papers, tailored to the two grammar schools so it was all very specific.

We only used him for an hour per fortnight for the few months before the 11+. Although we know others who used him for 1 or 2 years which was more the norm. It was more for exam technique etc rather than anything else for our son, which is why the tutor was happy to fit him in for the last term or so only.

About a month before the 11+, he hired a church hall and turned it into a "mock" exam for a full Saturday morning, which exam style tables etc., and gave all his students a proper mock test with his own exam papers. He made it as realistic as possible. Must have been 30 or 40 kids there. That, again, was well worth the money as primary kids just don't experience "proper" exams, so it really helped them to get the feel for what the real thing was going to be like.

It took us a while to find someone suitable as this guy didn't advertise. We spoke to a couple of others but they sounded very "wishy washy" and vague, and we weren't impressed. This guy was old school, quite abrupt and to the point and gave us a lot more confidence. My son responds far better to a relatively strict and no nonsense approach so it turned out a good match.

xyzandabc Tue 13-Jun-17 08:19:47

We paid £25 an hour but that was in a group of 4, and did include all books etc. Definitely cheap for round here. Many other are £30/35 and don't include books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now