Talk

Advanced search

St olaves prep, new eltham - thoughts please

(11 Posts)
lolacola1977 Tue 30-May-17 11:26:26

Hello, we are considering this school for dd, we are looking for somewhere in the area with an ethos which emphasises play, creativity etc, rather than worksheets and rote-learning and everyone producing identical drawings etc. Any thoughts gratefully received - thank you!

Brize Tue 30-May-17 17:51:07

Hi, I am considering this school as well. Have you been on a open day? My main concern is a lack of space in classrooms and no facilities, except playground. And sports opportunities.

lolacola1977 Tue 30-May-17 21:34:48

No, not yet, have you? I've only just started looking. I'm more concerned about the ethos as definitely not interested in a hot-house-type environment, however fancy the buildings!

Brize Wed 31-May-17 10:21:35

No, I haven't.I think the Open day in October or September time. I am not looking to fancy building, but I had bad experience with private nursery where children were on top of each other so I happily moved him to free nursery in Church hall where they were running freely. I don't think St.Ovales is a hot-house type.

lolacola1977 Wed 31-May-17 12:16:01

Will def sign up for the open day then and maybe try and get in before then if they do that.

Det54 Fri 02-Jun-17 19:18:57

My children went there for a time, it's a wonderful, nurturing school, yes it doesn't have heaps of space but small class sizes mean they don't need it, they use a nearby park as well. Can't speak highly enough regarding the ethos of the school, teaching staff are fab and they help you pick the best senior school for your child to move onto. They get the best out of the child be they be academically gifted or the other end of the spectrum. The head is also excellent.

Brize Thu 08-Jun-17 21:13:55

Hello Det54, I heard that the head teacher of St.Olaves has changed at the beggining of this year. This school seems quite expensive for little school with no facilities and no much sport or clubs, I am trying to justify the cost.

Det54 Fri 09-Jun-17 16:34:36

Yes new head but internal promotion so well known to the school and she is brilliant. For us the nurturing environment was extremely important, the fact it is a small school was only an advantage in our eyes. The sports side wasn't important to us but I don't remember being shocked by any lack of sports, I'm trying to remember as it was ks1 a while ago, we moved away from the area, nothing to do with the school, I was devastated to leave it in fact, but I'm sure there was plenty on offer. We looked at several prep schools in the area and it was the one to impress me the most with its real 'family feel' Go and see them and ask, they would welcome your enquiries.

lolacola1977 Fri 09-Jun-17 16:43:29

Thanks for the response, that's really helpful. Do you remember how play-based it was? I have a fear of endless worksheets which you so often see in London prep-schools.

Brize Sun 11-Jun-17 00:58:46

Thank you Det54, I can see that this school is quite nurturing and they do a lots of activities, but I have another fear now, about academics. Could you tell me please about teaching and school programm, strong enough or too relax. I expect it to be better that standard state school.

Brize Mon 10-Jul-17 11:42:48

I have seen the st.Ovales today, and it's ok. But it's first private or state school that have not got a computer class with Computers?!? No fields or sport ground and tiny hall/restaurant. I really don't know where money is going. I just hope teaching is good. After school clubs quite limited as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now