Talk

Advanced search

qualifications for professional development? (maths)

(5 Posts)
user1471516536 Mon 29-May-17 17:48:02

Hello,
I am a class teacher with 4 years of experience. I like my current school but there's not much prospect of advancement here.
I was thinking of doing further study in Maths so that I could become a Maths subject head when I eventually move schools in future.
Are any of you involved in hiring? What would make you choose someone to be head of maths? I only have GCSE at the moment. My options are: Maths A level, Maths Postgraduate Diploma or ask to shadow the current head of maths alongside my own current subject leadership role.
WWYD?

user1471516536 Mon 29-May-17 18:01:41

Just to add extra context:
Graduate diploma costs £2k
Maths A Level costs £150!

mrz Mon 29-May-17 18:02:32

Ask to shadow the current maths lead

spanieleyes Mon 29-May-17 18:19:25

Look at opportunities in your school for CPD in maths and "volunteer" to attend ( especially the free ones!) I honestly wouldn't bother with a qualification ( our English lead has a maths degree, our maths lead has a History degree and our History lead has an English degree!) rather look at, as mrz says, shadowing the current lead, broadening your professional understanding and showing interest!

mrz Mon 29-May-17 19:13:01

http://www.mathshubs.org.uk/find-your-hub/ check out your local maths hub

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now