Talk

Advanced search

Help

(13 Posts)
emma123456 Mon 22-May-17 23:38:37

My child has been given a fixed term exclusion from school. Does anyone know what the long term implications of this are?

emma123456 Mon 22-May-17 23:39:52

In particular I'm interested if this is passed on when he transitions to secondary school. If it is, is there any other context or other information shared?

spanieleyes Tue 23-May-17 09:46:58

In our case, the letter confirming the exclusion and the exclusion paperwork are placed on the child's file,which is forwarded to the secondary school, the Local Authority are also informed of the reasons for the exclusion for their records..

Reow Tue 23-May-17 09:53:07

I think it completely depends on the reason it was given. Was what prompted it serious - bullying or violence, or just messing about - mucking about in class and being disruptive?

spanieleyes Tue 23-May-17 10:05:54

You would hardly be given a fixed term exclusion for messing about!

emma123456 Tue 23-May-17 10:17:38

He punched a child on the head. The child involved had been verbally abusing him over a period of time. It reached a peak and my son reacted in an unacceptable manner. He has an exemplary record within school up until this point. He has never raised his hands before. He has no behaviour issues. He is a bright boy who should have reacted differently but made a poor choice and the implications for him are potentially serious if this stays on his records for 6+ years. The other child was unhurt, he was struck on the forehead with such force that there was no mark. The school are disinterested about events leading up to the incident and have taken a view that it doesn't matter what the provocation was, this is the appropriate sanction. I have asked why an internal exclusion wasn't considered. They responded that they could not staff this. The school have taken no action against the other child who denies everything.

emma123456 Tue 23-May-17 10:18:05

He's in Year 6.

spanieleyes Tue 23-May-17 10:22:30

I'm sure any secondary school would, if at all interested, view it as a one-off incident ( as long as it wasn't repeated!) and it will probably never be mentioned again.

emma123456 Tue 23-May-17 10:33:14

I'm just gutted that with 7 weeks of primary school left, this is the information that gets transferred to his new school. It feels very unfair and not a reflection of his primary school record.
What is perhaps doubly frustrating that when we asked the school about the implications of this on this school record, they didn't know. How can you implement a sanction properly without fully understanding the implications?

spanieleyes Tue 23-May-17 10:43:11

Because the procedures will vary. Some schools seem to only request the electronic records held, some seem to request paper files too, some receive files and never read them, some don;t seem to want anything!!
I know it's a worry to you but honestly it will hardly register in the secondary school, they will have much worse to deal with!

soapboxqueen Tue 23-May-17 11:11:16

Unless he is set to go to a secondary that has been exempted from taking any child that had been excluded or expelled, it won't be a problem. You can always discuss it with them if you are worried.

Some schools that have been reopened due to previously failing get a pass on taking in difficult students for a set period of time.

Donnamarie34ryan Fri 26-May-17 19:13:24

Hi could anyone advise me on whether to do about inappropriate behaviour from another child please? My 5 year old daughter told me after school that a older boy grabbed her at lunchtime and tried to kiss her on the lips, she started crying and said she was took into each class to point out the boy. The school didn't even mention it when I picked her up and I asked her if anything else happened she said yes but couldn't remember what else he done to her. I went to the school who confirmed what my d had said. What do I do ?

soapboxqueen Fri 26-May-17 21:03:41

Donna you might want to start your own thread. Go to the topic you want to post under and click start thread. You'll get better responses that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now