Talk

Advanced search

Kumon

(6 Posts)
Grumpbum Thu 18-May-17 07:11:16

Just looking for opinions please, my son has asked to go to 'maths club' like his friend does after a bit of digging it seems to be kumon which I know nothing about. On paper it looks very good but pricey. My Son is 6 nearly 7 and enjoys maths and is apparently borderline meeting/exceeding expectation.
Does anyone have experience of kumon and if so good or bad? Just worried I'd sign him up and he may put him off maths
Thanks in advance

irvineoneohone Thu 18-May-17 07:29:21

There are lots of kumon threads in the past, if you search.

Grumpbum Thu 18-May-17 08:16:08

Thank you hadn't thought to search!

Bluebird23 Sun 21-May-17 17:09:00

Hi

I have no direct experience with Kumon.
My son is also in Y2 and at a similar level to your son. A couple of his friends take part in the Kumon maths programme and seem to be very quick with all the recall elements of maths so I was contemplating giving it a go.
At parents evening, I asked my sons teacher her opinion and she didn't seem to think Kumon would make any difference to my sons maths ability in the longer term. Obviously, just an opinion but she is a very strong and experienced teacher. I have decided to save the pennies.

Grumpbum Sun 21-May-17 18:21:24

Thank you, I've had a good search through the threads here and have decided to just carry on with the online games he gets from school and carry on encouraging him when he takes interest in something.

Leeds2 Sun 21-May-17 19:09:02

My DD, now 19, did it for a term in Year 2. It was held in a cramped, noisy hall and the emphasis seemed to be on the DC/parents doing all the work at home. I guess your fees bought you the work sheets to do at home. I didn't think it was worth the time or money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now