Talk

Advanced search

Choosing primary school for reception

(7 Posts)
VANITYKM Wed 17-May-17 20:47:10

Hi there,

I am having difficulty deciding between two schools. Both are only for 3 years (infant schools).

School A has a great follow on (middle school), but is at 30 for the class size and is 25-40 minutes drive. School B has only 14 in the class so far (this may go up) & is only 20 mins drive - but the follow on middle school is 'requires improvement' and much worse results.

What would you choose? I am having terrible guilt at thought of my 16 month old having to do the travel, but can't stand the thought of the awful follow on school.

Helpful advice needed please.

DueOct30th Wed 17-May-17 20:50:03

Which school is your catchment school? Be very careful as you may not get offered either if they are oversubscribed and you are not incatchment area! Aside from that go and visit and get a feel for the schools and if there is local fb page ask for parents views on it.

Sirzy Wed 17-May-17 20:50:10

Are you sure you are in catchment for them both anyway? Even 20 min drive is quite a distance from the school in most areas unless you are very rural!

And he is only 16 months a lot can change in a small time especially before he gets to middle school.

VANITYKM Wed 17-May-17 20:51:28

I have already checked and can get into both schools - I like them both equally as visited both. Just posting what it all boils down to.

VANITYKM Wed 17-May-17 20:53:22

And this is for my 4 year old, who has a 16mth old brother btw.

BellaGoth Wed 17-May-17 21:05:29

Is this for your 4 year old to start in reception this September? And have you not yet applied? If so I would be surprised if you could get into school A as it 30 it's probably full (unless they can take more than 30?).

Regardless I would go for school B. That middle school is probably going to have a lot of work put into it in the next 3 years so may well be much better by the. If not you can always look at a move closer to the time.

PatriciaHolm Thu 18-May-17 08:01:41

I'm assuming one is private and the other state, if they are for this September?

A 40 minute drive 4 times a day is nuts, (assuming it's 25-40 mins one way) which would decide it for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now