Talk

Advanced search

Moving - disruption to the kids

(6 Posts)
Lucyannieamy Wed 17-May-17 09:01:16

DH and I have talked about moving out of London, back towards the grandparents (north Buckinghamshire) for ages. We are now at a point where we really feel we need to move, for our benefit, we are not really city dwellers. But I'm worried that it won't be to the children's benefit. DD will move up to the junior school year 3 in September and DS starts in reception, if we were to start a move now I can't believe we'd have got our house on the market and sold and another bought before September, so they'd both end up dealing with new schools twice before Christmas. Is that just a really bad idea to be avoided at all cost, or manageable?

Also they are both enrolled at a private music school, which teaches music to children in a very different way (colourstrings). DD is due to start violin this September and DS (whose is really the amazingly musical one) would likely start violin in year 1. I have really valued the money spent on this, over standard methods, but there isn't a music facility that teaches this method anywhere near where we'd move to. So moving feels like it's depriving them.

On the positives they'd get clean air, space, more relaxed pace, peace, not having to watch the neighbouring tenants sit on their kitchen roof in their pants smoking weed, clean air.

Any experiences to share gratefully received!

Crumbs1 Wed 17-May-17 09:10:46

Move. Happy parents equal happy children. Children adapt. Many move around quite often and still thrive. We moved with children in reception (after 1 term), year 2 and year 3. They were fine.
Get a private violin teacher who teaches violin properly not a coloured strings watered down version. Is there not a local authority music service with visiting teachers? Mine learned that way initially and four of six still play various instruments and all got to grade 8.

paap1975 Wed 17-May-17 09:16:12

I went to 8 different schools in 3 different countries. It really wasn't a problem. It will be an adventure for them and definitely a good thing for them to have happier parents and a better quality of life

BlueChampagne Wed 17-May-17 13:11:51

Also the younger they are, the quicker they adapt. Maybe the music school can recommend someone in the area?

BigWeald Wed 17-May-17 13:49:01

If it is so important to you, when looking for an actual place to move to, why not take the availability of 'colourstrings' teaching into account when looking at pros/cons of houses/areas?

E.g. South Bucks would put you within very reasonable distance to a colourstrings teacher (pm me for a link), but a bit further from grandparents.

Regarding moving the children's schools, I think it is quite common that children move within the first few months of reception and Y3. Due to waiting list movement. It isn't ideal but kids cope. And the move will benefit them too, in terms of cleaner air, greener surroundings, seeing grandparents more etc. Short term pain for long term gain.

Sprinklestar Wed 17-May-17 13:54:34

Children adapt! We are expats, kids in international school, we know families who move every couple of years. This really is a non-issue!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now