Talk

Advanced search

Following on from the thread about book bands/reading age expectations, what book band is your reception child on?

(39 Posts)
Wornout8 Sun 14-May-17 16:58:04

Genuine interested question to see how this varies from school to school, also is you child considered low, middle or high ability for reading, many thanks

dylexicdementor11 Sun 14-May-17 18:08:00

DS is on the yellow book band. He and about five other children (out of 30) are in the 'high ability' group. DS and about half of his class have english as an additional language.

His teacher has told us that DS will not be moved up to the next reading level this term, despite being ready.

This will enable the school to show that he has progressed 'enough' in year 1, according to his teacher.

mrz Sun 14-May-17 18:10:53

What! confused

dylexicdementor11 Sun 14-May-17 18:13:53

Yup- we are not impressed. DS is on the waiting list for another school. His current school is falling apart at the seams.

GertrudeBelle Sun 14-May-17 18:14:34

DS (Jan birthday) has been on blue band for about a month. Considered very able but not top of the class.

MarzipanPiggy Sun 14-May-17 18:21:37

DD is on blue. She's August born and couldn't read at all when she started reception so we are very pleased with her progress. The teachers seem happy too. I'm not sure what book bands other children are on.

NotPennysBoat Sun 14-May-17 18:27:32

Dd (May birthday) is on Green band. She's one of the better readers in the class but not the best!

irvineoneohone Sun 14-May-17 19:05:05

I say this as a parent who has older child. Book level at reception doesn't really matter in later tears.
By yr3, most of children will catch up to certain level.
Some of them who were way ahead in reception actually falls behind.
What is really important is getting secure phonics knowledge and good comprehension, rather than going ahead with book band levels, ime.

PseudoBadger Sun 14-May-17 19:05:31

DS was on pink for the whole of reception.

irvineoneohone Sun 14-May-17 19:07:53

*years!

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 14-May-17 19:28:48

Ds is top in the year (I think) and on purple. I expect he'll probably go up again once more this year.

Grumpbum Sun 14-May-17 19:34:01

In reception we didn't do bands just worked through all the dandelion launcher/reader books which were boring to listen to but a great foundation for later, now in year 1 he's Finished the bands available a is a 'library reader' and next year will go onto accelerated reader program - whatever that is!

Chrisinthemorning Sun 14-May-17 19:53:30

DS has just moved up to yellow (band 3). He's a June Birthday.
No idea how this compares to the rest of the class, we aren't told that. School seem to be happy that he is making progress.

Didiplanthis Sun 14-May-17 20:04:18

Ds on blue. School also totally uninterested in challenging able children in reception as then have to show progression through the school. Much easier to keep them average so school can't be seen to 'fail' the high achievers as they were seen to be doing by ofsted.

CruCru Sun 14-May-17 20:30:04

I'm not sure - he started off on ORT books but is now reading some other books which don't seem to correspond to the ORT levels. He's reading OUP level 11 (lime) books at home.

Readytomakechanges Sun 14-May-17 20:49:16

DD was 5 in November. She gets purple band books from school.

According to her teacher she's "the most advanced reception reader" that she's taught. I found this hard to believe as my friend's DD in another school (different county) is of similar level and in top group at school, but one of many of her level in that group. I'd also grown to understand from Mumsnet that there's usually a handful of advanced readers in every reception class.

Obviously not the case in DD's class where she has to be in a guided reading group on her own as there are no other kids close enough to her level to work in a group together.

MiaowTheCat Sun 14-May-17 20:53:17

No idea as they don't book band sticker the books but she's almost at the end of the basket that lives in the reception classroom and is furthest on in the class. She would be further on if she remembered to change her book!

It all evens out in the end though.

Chilver Sun 14-May-17 20:55:25

DD is on Yellow C but they have told us they are holding her back, also like a pp, because they don't want her to have read all the books before getting to year 1 as 'the Year 1 teachers don't like it'!! We just read around it and at home she is on the Turqoise books.

Didiplanthis Sun 14-May-17 21:02:38

I am far more relaxed about this second time round - first time round with dd it seemed so important and I was so proud of my advanced reader - think she was on ort 9/10 by end of reception. 3 years on they have mostly all levelled out and some that finished reception on ort 2 are now better and more enthusiastic natural readers than her !

Mehfruittea Sun 14-May-17 21:18:49

DS is on Yellow, has been since xmas and is in top group of his year. Has been ready to move to Blue but much like dylexicdementor11 have been told he won't move up until the rest of the able group are ready for blue.

mrz Sun 14-May-17 21:27:58

Books should,match the child's phonic knowledge and ability not the level some arbitrary group is reading!

cantkeepawayforever Sun 14-May-17 21:34:17

OK - back in the dark ages, when my children were in Reception, the way it worked was:

- They had daily phonics lessons
- They had reading books to take home that were matched exactly to their own, individual level
- They did group reading, from towards the end of the year, which used different books from the individual readers and which might be at a somewhat different level, but one that it was good for the group to learn from at that moment

So I don't get the 'can't move ahead of their group' thing. Yes, a group might read the same book in "guided reading" type lessons, which focus on discussing 'the book' - plot, characters, inference, retrieval of information etc (IME many schools have moved to do this at a whole class level, rather than as groups, but that is by the by). However I don't understand at all why individual reading books should be matched to a group at all.

cantkeepawayforever Sun 14-May-17 21:36:01

And again IME, most good schools have moved away from 'limited stages of books in individual classrooms' to a whole school, or at least whole key stage, stock of books that can be closely matched to a child's ability both to decode and comprehend.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 14-May-17 21:42:14

I think if they had left my son on yellow he would have been a PITA. Sadly if he finds a book too easy he starts to play up.
It's stupid to leave them all on yellow so others can catch up, although at DS' school that seems to be mid ability in reception.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 14-May-17 21:44:00

Also I've found that the later books also facility other learning as they have much more breadth and introduce topics that can facility discussion like history, bulling, conservation etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now