Talk

Advanced search

Do you read more often in summer? age 5/6

(23 Posts)
Mamabear12 Sun 14-May-17 11:22:13

I am just curious if during the summer if anyone reads with their kids more often and make more effort as they are not in school? I mean, having your kids read to you. If so, how many times a day or how many books? Or do you just forget about reading and do whenever you remember (like once a week?). I am sure a lot of parents do different things, but I would be interested to get an idea of what people do during the summer. I am pretty relaxed with my kids and we do lots of park, sports activities, arts and crafts, plus they play on their kindle sometimes. But I am wondering if I should make a big effort this summer with my DD reading (age 5) so she gets a lot more confident with it.

mrz Sun 14-May-17 11:24:31

No in winter when it's dark and gloomy so not out and about as much

stuckinthehouse Sun 14-May-17 11:37:59

We do the library reading challenge (6 books in 6 weeks)

Witchend Sun 14-May-17 11:39:04

Do you mean during the summer holidays rather than summer season?

I don't particularly make an effort over the summer holidays, although we'll usually go to the library more and buy a few books over the holiday, but that's because I've got three bookworms and it's a good entertainment. I'm guaranteed around 3 hours of silence after a good library trip grin

But for reading to them, much more likely to do it in winter when it's dark and cosy for an early bed. In the summer, the light is still calling to them. and when they've not got school the next day they're more likely to be up late and go to bed when they're tired and not particularly want a story. They'll read to themselves when they wake though.

stuckinthehouse Sun 14-May-17 11:39:29

here

irvineoneohone Sun 14-May-17 12:02:06

If you mean child read aloud to parents during summer holidays, we just carried on as normal as school days, unless too busy doing something exciting.

Squishedstrawberry4 Sun 14-May-17 12:11:40

I read to the kids more as we have more time. So we might pile through a few adventure chapter books (harry potter). The youngest reads to me half an hour a day most days and makes noticeable improvements over the weeks. I also encourage them to look at books on their own in bed before lights out. We can't afford expensive holidays and instead to lots of baking, fire/damn building, geo cashing,

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 14-May-17 13:55:30

We read between 2 to 4 picture books at bedtime come rain or shine.
In the summer I plan to carry on getting him to read to me every day now that he can read to stop the summer slide and have bought the project x sets from book people to do this. May also try him on horrid henry or thomas books.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 14-May-17 13:56:32

But to be fair we will need to work more on his writing rather than reading this summer.

Squishedstrawberry4 Sun 14-May-17 17:11:28

We wouldn't consider any writing homework but I guess fine motor skills art work would probably assist with that skill.

MaggieLightBlue Sun 14-May-17 17:13:08

We read more during midwinter. Summertime is playtime.

Iwantawhippet Sun 14-May-17 17:29:27

We did Reading chest. I got books of DC's level and the next one up and we read regularly. It made a difference at the end of the hols: at the start of year 1 he was one of the best readers. It was also a nice break from Biff and Chip.

NotHotDogMum Sun 14-May-17 17:46:25

I always completed the summer reading challenge in libraries with my DC, so yes, they did read more.

I found my local library had loads of activities and incentives to keep them reading throughout the summer holiday, and the medal and certificate at the end was always well received.

All free, of course, so a great outing when we were on a tight budget.

They are teens now...and only seem like I read their texts hmm I miss those days

NotHotDogMum Sun 14-May-17 17:47:05

*and only seem to read their texts

irvineoneohone Sun 14-May-17 17:53:43

Tomorrow, we did/still do diary during summer which would help with regular writing.(And lots of drawing!)
And it's a really good memento for the past summers of dc growing up.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 14-May-17 18:15:09

That's a good idea. DS has gross and fine motor issues so anything to help with that is good.

Mamabear12 Sun 14-May-17 18:59:33

Ah great reminder of the library! I used to go as a child, but we have not joined one here as I felt it was a little far (30 mins walk). But a good idea for the summer. And yes, need to continue practice writing skills. I think I will for sure try and keep up with reading and writing during the summer. There is only so much park and play you can do so a little bit of reading (child reading to me) and writing practice is good I think.

irvineoneohone Sun 14-May-17 19:21:18

Mrz has great list of ideas to improve gross/fine motor skills.(You can search.)
Summer is a great time to try to improve them. Mine had problem with gross motor skills, doing fun things for him meant improving his writing skills. It does make difference.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 14-May-17 19:24:04

Currently waiting to see the occupational therapist as DS has a series of issues including the motor issues. Hopefully they can help with those too.

FrancesHaHa Sun 14-May-17 19:25:38

We also do summer reading challenge at the library.
There does seem to be more time n the summer holidays, and more to to read to them, as well, so we embark on longer books in the summer.

Didiplanthis Sun 14-May-17 20:09:30

Summer reading challenge and daily reading as usual

BigWeald Sun 14-May-17 22:13:00

At nearly 5 (end reception) I bought several books for DS that I thought would be quite a challenge, and to my mind terribly boring, but that were exactly what interested him at the time. Think Lego Superheroes Readers type books if your kid is mad about Lego Superheroes.
He loved them and 'working' through them, though hard, never seemed like 'work' at all.

At nearly 6 (end Y1) DS had just caught the reading bug, so when we went away, we took a book for every day we were going to be away with us, and ended up buying more while away. During term time DS reads daily (pretty much) but I make sure that he gets plenty of outdoors/active time too, so it doesn't leave much time for reading. During the holidays there is no balancing between playing, being outside, running about and reading to be watched. He can easily read for several hours a day and still be running about outside for the majority of the day. And on days out he'll have a book in his bag that comes out in queues, trains, lunch breaks etc.

We found that writing postcards to school friends and family members was a good way to keep up writing practice during the holidays, especially if you find yourself having a rainy day.

NorthumbrianGirl Sun 14-May-17 22:54:48

We read more, but different things rather than school books. I also read longer stories to them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now