Talk

Advanced search

Children asking to go to the loo?

(5 Posts)
nicholaburns Sat 13-May-17 08:06:41

I am in my first year as a teacher of a year 3 class. Recently my children have started to constantly ask to visit the toilet.
A bit of teacher input would be nice. Would it be okay if I just told them no?

user1955 Sat 13-May-17 08:30:56

At this time of year they may be starting to drink more and hence need the loo more, but equally they may be now realise they can use it for a lark or to avoid work! Have you done some direct input on when to go to the toilet and reminded them at the start of breaks and before the start of the next session?
If it is when I am doing some direct teaching input I ask them if they can wait so they don't miss the information they need to complete the rest of the lesson's tasks.
I don't say no, but I do remind them of the learning they are missing. If you have repeat offenders I keep a record of times on a post-it note so I can build up a picture, then talk to the child and even the parent about it. I only let one girl and one boy go at a time (unless a child is really desperate) to avoid the "let's meet in the toilet" issue, and do say they need to wait until X comes back.
Finally if you do feel they are pushing it I say yes they can go, but then they owe me 2 minutes learning time from their playtime. That usually sorts out those who are genuine from those messing around.

irvineoneohone Sat 13-May-17 08:59:19

At my ds' school in KS2, they have 2 cards in each class, one for a boy, one for a girl.
You can take one of the card and show it to teacher to ask to go to the loo.
So there will be max 2 children going at the same time, and also it's not going to be possible for 2 girl or 2 boys to go together and mess about.
Seems to work fine.

GreatWhites Sat 13-May-17 09:01:37

Of course you can say no. Blanket rules are usually not during teaching inputs and 1 boy, 1 girl at a time.

MrsJamesMathews Sat 13-May-17 09:03:35

Not a teacher but with a dc in year 2 I'd say these kids are taking the piss. Or just very immature.

Do you have them most of the day? If so I'd tell them they all have to go at certain times or before/after play. If they can't plan their own wee times then you need to do it for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now