Talk

Advanced search

A question about SATS standardised scoring....

(5 Posts)
namechangingagainagain Fri 12-May-17 17:51:14

Sorry to ask but google is not helping.
This is the first time I've been through SATS with a score rather than levels.

So as I understand it the results will be standardised into a normal distribution with 100 as the mean. Anyone above the mean score will be "expected" but 99 or less ( so I guess just shy of 50% of the children) will be "below expected" is that correct?
But the results don't show whether you've met the "expected" standard do they? They just show you are in the top 50% of the cohort sitting the exam. Or am I being stupid!?!

Thanks in advance

RedSkyAtNight Fri 12-May-17 19:03:14

100 is not the mean - it is the "expected" score based on thresholds defined around what makes a Y6 child is expected to achieve. So more than 50% of the cohort will get 100+. I've a vague recollection of the average in 1 subject last year being 103?

mrz Fri 12-May-17 19:22:13

It's a scaled score not a standardised score which I think is where your confusion lies. As red sky says a scaled score of 100 is the expected score.

namechangingagainagain Fri 12-May-17 19:30:08

thank you!!
that all makes much mores sense now smile

Trb17 Fri 12-May-17 19:36:55

These were the scaled scores from last year but may vary this year:

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/534106/2016_KS2_scaled_scores.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now