Talk

Advanced search

Yay.....SATS are over

(27 Posts)
FlowersandBees Thu 11-May-17 11:15:33

Have hated the boring repetitive work my son has had to do in yr 6. Their last year in primary should be fun and interesting and varied NOT endless practice test papers and stress...

kicker Thu 11-May-17 11:17:59

I agree as I have one DC in year 6. She's looking forward to the school journey, school production, lots of sport and games and art until they break up in July.

mrsglowglow Thu 11-May-17 11:41:28

Same here. Hope my son and his year 6 class mates will now get back to more exciting lessons for what's left of primary school.

RosesShouldBeInTins Thu 11-May-17 12:17:54

How have your children found them? Mine thought they were less difficult that he'd though they would be!

Trb17 Thu 11-May-17 12:42:07

DD thought English were easier than expected and maths was as expected. Glad they're over.

GuestWW Thu 11-May-17 13:46:17

Haven't had the report on today's paper yet, but on the whole DC seemed to think slightly easier than they were expecting.

I wish they had lots to look forward to and maybe I will be proven wrong, but they have a student teacher in their class now and both my DC say she is incompetent and boring. She seems unable to distinguish between the year groups and the work isn't challenging. Hopefully with SATs finished the excellent classroom teachers will oversee her more closely...

mrsglowglow Thu 11-May-17 16:15:47

From the little information my Son has shared he thinks they were easier than he thought they were going to be. They've now moved straight on to the school play. He'll love all the rehearsing etc but I know for some kids it will be more boring than the SATs revision.

PatriciaHolm Thu 11-May-17 16:17:11

DS found them easier than expected, but i think they were (from talking to teacher friends) mostly "easier" than last year.

Buttercupsandaisies Thu 11-May-17 20:03:50

My DD also found them easier - except for the spellings! I was disappointed with them - she knew all the y6 words, she got 20/20 every week on school spelling tests yet this one 'snapshot' will affect her - she knows she got quite a few wrong. So did many of her friends. Even if we'd practiced spellings everyday for a year I don't think I would have included some of those words

twofalls Thu 11-May-17 22:51:22

Buttercup how will it affect her though, really? Annoying but really not an issue in the grand scheme of things. Hope she is ok

Buttercupsandaisies Thu 11-May-17 23:31:31

She's fine! But Spellings account for 20 of the 70 spag scores. Her secondary school uses the scores to set for English and they don't reassess til Xmas. So it's likely that having been consistently good in English all primary (2nd to top set), and with a good spag paper score (hopefully as this is her strongest) she's unlikely to make the top sets because of those 20 questions. Any other day it may have been different.

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 11-May-17 23:34:36

We're very glad they're over! DS has been fed up of all the practising of past papers.

They have a week of science activities next week, then week after they're off to camp.

binda Fri 12-May-17 09:02:22

Buttercup - do you know what the spellings words were? Just out of interest - my son also found them hard but also couldn't remember any of them!

GuestWW Fri 12-May-17 09:04:35

My DC came out and checked two of the spellings words with me (after the test, no cheating!) but I believe we are not allowed to discuss them publicly in case anyone is sitting their SATs late...

MsJolly Fri 12-May-17 09:12:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MsJolly Fri 12-May-17 09:13:11

Oops-didn't see that @GuestWW

Apologies

binda Fri 12-May-17 09:58:05

Oops I didn't realise that either - sorry....
Thanks though @MsJolly!

twofalls Fri 12-May-17 10:09:04

Buttercup its highly unlikey a poor spelling test will mean she is put down a group. Most secondary schools use them as a measure but also take what the teachers say, ie "she had a bad spelling test, normally she is great". Also, if they were hard, everyone would have found them hard and so the score they get will reflect that - ie, she will probably still be in the higher percentile.

Buttercupsandaisies Fri 12-May-17 13:01:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Buttercupsandaisies Fri 12-May-17 13:18:21

Two falls

I hope that's true but her forwarding secondary does state it sets from sats alone

FlowersandBees Fri 12-May-17 13:26:38

I would be worried about a secondary that set from sats alone (see other thread about cheating). I hope they are fluid though and move kids as appropriate.
Luckily the one my son is going to creates sets based on teacher assessments, then by SATS results and then they do CAT tests of their own in Oct and then moved kids as needed.

Finnellajoe Fri 12-May-17 16:55:46

My daughter didn't have optician as one of her words?

mamaduckbone Fri 12-May-17 17:01:37

Yes...yay indeed! I'm a y6 teacher and ds1 is in y6. I can't wait to get back to teaching properly and for him not to be bored senseless - double SATs tedium in our house.
Msjolly please can you ask for your post about the spellings to be taken down?

mamaduckbone Fri 12-May-17 17:02:35

And buttercup...

mamaduckbone Fri 12-May-17 17:31:31

Thank you! If children are ill this week they may still take the tests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now