Talk

Advanced search

Great book set deals for kids around age 5 - please add to my list

(25 Posts)
Mamabear12 Sun 07-May-17 09:44:14

Hello all. I've found some great book sets that are in my opinion a good deal on Amazon. Please, add to the list as I love buying books for my kids to read. This is also a great option for give aways at birthday parties. I'm mainly interested for ages 3-6 books, but of cours add if you have ones for older kids as well. And maybe everyone knows about these ones already, but I was so happy to find so thought I would share and hoping others have good ones to share as well 😃

1. Learning to read biff and chipper book sets (25 books for 16gbp)

2. Set of 10 Julia Donaldson books (10 books for 15 gbp)

3. Set of 10 mog the cat books by Judith ker (10 books for 20gbp).

The prices include delivery charge as well. And no, I'm not a seller on Amazon 😉 I'm just so happy w the books and hoping to get other suggestions for me at great deal. Hope this helps others enjoy more books with their kids.

mrz Sun 07-May-17 10:26:10

I'd cross of number 1

Some great offers on https://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=128706&topCatId=116707&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100 the book people

mrz Sun 07-May-17 10:26:36

Off not of

Mamabear12 Sun 07-May-17 10:45:50

Oh, wow! Thanks so much for posting that website! Looks like a lot of great sets!! Woo hoo!

callumldraper Sun 07-May-17 14:36:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 07-May-17 15:06:47

Personally I'd wait and see how fast your children get through ort before buying the sets. If they progress fast they may be a wasted investment.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 07-May-17 15:08:09

These are fab, if they come back in stock.
www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?productId=509758&catalogId=10051

mrz Sun 07-May-17 15:10:46

Buying quality children's books is never wasted (if you don't mind spending the money otherwise visit the library) but I'd never recommend buying reading scheme books which is why I said cross off number 1.

(I do realise some parents feel they have to provide scheme books because school is failing to supply appropriate books).

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 07-May-17 15:18:15

We bought ones upto level 6 and they were then given to the school. I assumed they'd last until he was end yr 1 but not in his case.
Just got the project x ones though for him to read over summer as they were £22 for just under sixty books.

mrz Sun 07-May-17 15:22:51

I think the OP is looking for story collections rather that scheme books

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 07-May-17 15:29:52

Hence why I suggested penny dale dinosaur books.
Sue Hendra supertato set is also good.
Happy families

Mamabear12 Sun 07-May-17 17:57:28

I am happy to get both suggestions, of reading scheme books and fun books to read with your children. I am happy to spend the money, as both my kids can use the books. Her school gives out the chip and kipper books, but I like having our own set of the same books so we can pick and choose to read them, as school only gives them one reading book a week and if u forget to return it on the monday you do not get another until the next monday. We are rubbish at being responsible sometimes with returning the exact day you are supposed to so I like having the set at home.

I am very happy with the selections on the website the OP listed. Thanks smile

CruCru Sun 07-May-17 18:58:47

So far I've bought:

- Project X Alien Adventures (think both series were £30 from the Book People) which my son LOVES. He's now on the last one of series 1 but we still have series 2 to go.
- Dirty Bertie series
- Beast Quest series 1 to 3
- Set of Road Dahl books
- Load of Enid Blyton books
- The Demon Headmaster series

There's probably more - my husband finds the number of books coming in the door a bit excessive.

My son is five (In Reception).

CruCru Sun 07-May-17 18:59:22

Before I buy a series, I check the price on both Amazon and the Book People.

Mehfruittea Mon 08-May-17 10:15:38

YY for project x. Most of The scheme is a bit advanced for my 5 year old but he absolutely loves the storyline and it's sets his imagination off!! We are on our third repeat of all the books so it's not like they will read it once and not be bothered. I think as DS is able to read the first set himself it will be the start of reading independently rather than reading allowed to us. He loves them that much!!

Also all of Susan Hendra books. To read to, your child rather than have them read, Jolley Rogers set of pirate stories (from the book people). They are chapter books and has DS engaged in following the thread of one story over several nights.

And Funny Bones. I read this when I was a kid and my boy lives it too!

MiaowTheCat Mon 08-May-17 18:46:45

If you can get them cheap - the Usborne Phonic Readers set has gone down well with DD1 who's taken to reading herself to sleep with them on a night lately.

With the Mog set - beware beware beware of Goodbye Mog lest it take you unexpectedly!

skyzumarubble Mon 08-May-17 18:52:30

I love the bookpeople. Great for birthday presents too.

pistonpower Tue 09-May-17 15:48:25

My DS also love the Usborne Phonic Readers. I bought a book that had about 12 stories in it from Waterstones.

CruCru Tue 09-May-17 21:47:58

Speaking of the Project X Alien Adventures, I contacted the Book People to ask whether they were planning to sell series 3 but the answer was no.

The man at the OUP said that the easiest way is to buy the three sets of level 15/16, 17/18 and 19/20 books (8 in each set so 24 in total). However, it does rather break the heart to pay £160 for 24 books when I only paid £30 for the previous 55 books. Perhaps I'll wait until my son finished series 2 before getting more of the books.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Tue 09-May-17 23:09:13

Lol, DS is currently on the first book (read half tonight with daddy) and in reception so not worrying about set three for a while but that really sucks.

Fredella Wed 10-May-17 21:54:32

Horrid Henry, Captain Underpants and the Horrible Histories went down well here

Mehfruittea Wed 10-May-17 22:09:32

Cru what?? I think we are at the end of the story but don't know the level number. I have only bought 2 packs of 24 books. Is there more??? I'm not paying £160!

They landed safely...but so did Krool1....shock

catkind Wed 10-May-17 23:54:23

CruCru, much as DC loved the Project X books, I think we can happily live without a third series of them! Ditto more than the book people set of Rainbow Magic. If DC haven't had enough after 50 odd books they can go back and start at number 1 again. (And frequently do. Project X are the books I most often have to retrieve from scattered all over the floor.)

CruCru Thu 11-May-17 09:47:26

I think there are 30 books in series 1 and 24 books in series 2 (which we haven't finished yet).

Madcats Sat 13-May-17 20:54:25

Another big fan of The Book People here.

That said, I do tend to double check prices on Amazon before choosing where to order (they often have online previews, too, so you can check whether the book is pitched at the right level).

I guess the books go in phases, but we bought Hairy Maclary/Charlie & Lola/Winnie the Witch and Julia Donaldson alongside some pretty dreadful CBeebies associated stories before we ventured on to Blyton and Dahl etc.

Happy journey into kids books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now