Talk

Advanced search

Holy communion gift to a child of my friend

(20 Posts)
schooling123 Wed 03-May-17 07:20:27

Have been invited to 1st holy communion to a child of my friend. The child is alao one of best friends to my sin. What shall i buy?

Mamabear12 Wed 03-May-17 07:36:16

When I was little I received a bible for kids, which I still have now and will pass on to my kids. There are many other religious books as well I bought for my kids with bible stories. You could also buy a rosary, religious necklace (w one of the saints).

ScarlettDarling Wed 03-May-17 07:39:55

What about a small silver cross and chain like this one

ScarlettDarling Wed 03-May-17 07:41:10

If you look at the catholic gift shop you will find lots of ideas.

HorraceTheOtter Wed 03-May-17 07:43:16

I tend to give silver standard Christopher things for holy communion.

HorraceTheOtter Wed 03-May-17 07:43:43

Bloody phone! Saint Christopher.

noramum Wed 03-May-17 09:18:24

I personally would stay away from religious gifts, they are normally done by parents/close family/god parents. Also some churches give bibles as gifts.

We gave DD's best friend a photoframe with a photo of them together. We chose one she can use for years to come, not too childish and no writing like "first communion" etc on it.

AnneElliott Wed 03-May-17 09:25:53

We normally buy a St Christopher or a missal but will check with the family first. We get them from the shop in our church.

TheWoollybacksWife Wed 03-May-17 09:26:22

We always give £10 in a card. Cash gifts are fairly standard - at least in my family/wider circle.

When my children made theirs they received mostly money. Half for saving, half for spending. Rosary beads from Granny.

Bringmesunshite Wed 03-May-17 09:27:34

If you are not especially religious, not sure a religious themed gift is the way to go.
If you want to get him a keepsake, don't focus on a religious one.
Money is perfectly acceptable in my view or no gift at all. I'm RC, btw.

Tobuyornot99 Wed 03-May-17 09:38:06

Cash in a card is grand, they are inundated with the usual gifts from godparents and family usually.

wigglesrock Wed 03-May-17 11:00:13

For communion it's always money among my family and friends. One of my daughters got a lovely pair of earrings from a very close relative. Godparents/grandparents do the cross and chain, rosary beads but friends, aunts - usually anywhere from £10 in a card. Although one of my mums neighbours bought my eldest "fancy" stationery - a journal, grown up pens grin, nice notebooks etc for her communion. She wasn't comfortable giving money, my daughter loved it.

user1495009974 Wed 17-May-17 10:22:14

Outfits,one of the best gift idea for all time. Do visit the link wilshireandcooper.com/ to buy designer kids fashion clothes and children's wear online.

Rainatnight Wed 17-May-17 10:28:02

There's a lovely book called 'Dear Pope Francis: the Pope answers letters from children around the world'. I've given that very successfully.

trollopolis Wed 17-May-17 10:35:32

That online Catholic gift shop is amazing?

Luminous statues and Lourdes soap!

nocampinghere Wed 17-May-17 11:40:53

i bought these communion gift boxes as presents. They've been fab - used to store all the little trinkets, cards etc they get for their HC.
you can also get them through notonthehighstreet

chantico Wed 17-May-17 11:52:58

I think the only clothes for First Communion would be the traditional white(ish) frock for girls and suit/smart for boys, and that would be given by the parents.

I don't think designer clothes would strike the right note at all (better just FC card with money in it than that)

Gooseygoosey12345 Wed 17-May-17 12:10:13

Money is normally the done thing where I'm from

babybouncer Wed 17-May-17 12:19:43

So I'm not a Christian, but have been to several friends' kids christenings and first communions. I tend to choose a good book - an atlas, poetry anthology etc. My friends know me, and don't expect a religious gift (and it would feel weird to give it), but I think a gift of some kind is important. For a christening I've also done a charity gift (like a safe birth kit for a mother-to-be in the Sudan).

totallyzonkedout Wed 17-May-17 16:49:00

I personally tend to like giving personalised gifts like this but one of my favourite gifts given to my son (although it was his christening) was a Star in his name, and for my daughter it was a set of Winnie the pooh books

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now