Talk

Advanced search

school trip

(16 Posts)
IndieChick17 Thu 27-Apr-17 21:42:22

My sons school are doing a trip to London, specifically the houses of parliament. Now after the terrorist attack last month I dont really want to let him go. I live in Barnsley so for him to be so far away from me is terrifying. He's in year four so he's only 8 years old. Do people think I'm being paranoid and should I let him go? TIA

AgentProvocateur Thu 27-Apr-17 21:42:58

Yes.

Wolfiefan Thu 27-Apr-17 21:45:03

I completely understand you want to keep your child safe. How are they travelling? TBH just after an incident security will be extra extra tight. It's probably a very safe time to go.

That1950sMum Thu 27-Apr-17 21:45:05

You're being paranoid. Sounds like a really interesting school trip.

BackforGood Thu 27-Apr-17 23:09:43

I would let him go - security after an incident is always rucked up a bit.
Only thing from my pov is that it is a massive distance for a day trip.

2014newme Fri 28-Apr-17 09:04:21

I'd let him go

LIZS Fri 28-Apr-17 09:05:49

Ott reaction, sorry. Security will be very tight and they will be well supervised.

user1483972886 Sat 29-Apr-17 09:28:59

Our school does a similar long distance day trip to London to visit the houses of Parliament in year 6. It would be a shame for him not to go. As said security will be increased and presumably the school have done the trip before. They are always looking for volunteers to go with them why not offer to join them?

CaulkheadNorth Sat 29-Apr-17 09:31:00

The school would have cancelled the trip if they felt they needed to.

leccybill Sat 29-Apr-17 09:32:26

My DD's school changed their Y4 London trip to Harry Potter and Warwick Castle after parental concerns.

Spongesecret008 Sat 29-Apr-17 09:34:04

I took my 8 year old there a few weeks ago. I did feel a bit nervous going to London but once we were there I was fine. It was a wonderful trip. I am really glad we went.

sunshine7981 Sat 29-Apr-17 13:25:02

I wonder how london parents live with themselves having children in such a dangerous city full of terrorists and murderers😬. Maybe worry more about the things which are much more likely to be dangerous- crossing the road, being driven in a car etc etc

Hulababy Sat 29-Apr-17 13:27:51

YANBU to feel a little anxious. Many people, especially those who don't live in a big city, do even if they don't always vocalise it.

However I think YABU to stop him going if he wants to, and you would be unreasonable to vocalise your worries directly to him. There will be tightened security, the teachers will have done a full risk assessment and the likelihood of anything going amiss is incredibly low.

WorriedandWorried Sat 29-Apr-17 20:10:47

Wouldn't let mine go to be honest
Such a busy place and with what has happened no way

Crispsheets Sat 29-Apr-17 20:13:01

You are being paranoid. How do you think children in London survive every day?

CrunchySeaweed Sat 29-Apr-17 20:19:30

There are schools right by the Houses of Parliament. You should let your child go. If anything it is safer than Barnsley due to the security

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now