Talk

Advanced search

Bank holiday

(17 Posts)
Doradolittle Wed 26-Apr-17 23:05:24

DD in reception so I've never come across this before - but is it unusual for a school to be open on the May bank holiday?
I guess usually bank holidays are during holiday time so I've never noticed before...

PatriciaHolm Wed 26-Apr-17 23:13:58

Very unusual! Don't think I've come across it before.

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Wed 26-Apr-17 23:17:36

I'd go so far as to say it's unheard of! Are you in England? Is the school closed for polling on Thursday, and they are perhaps designating that day in lieu?

I'd be pretty unimpressed if I were a member of staff there, tbh.

indyandlara Wed 26-Apr-17 23:18:02

Depends where you are and which dates. Most schools in Scotland are open on the May 29th holiday as it's not observed. However lots of people have it as bank holiday from work.

jamdonut Wed 26-Apr-17 23:18:55

I've not heard of that before! We are off.
The only thing I can think is it's a trade off for the end of Summer term falling on an odd Monday and so they can finish on the Friday before and still have the correct number of days at school, they've sacrificed a bank holiday??? Something like that? Can't think that parents would be too pleased at taking children to school on a bank holiday though?

xyzandabc Wed 26-Apr-17 23:20:30

Very unusual, I've never come across a school open on a bank holiday. I was going to ask if you are in England or Wales as Scotland and N. Ireland do have some different bank holidays to E&W. But a quick check on .Gov.UK and all 4 countries have a bank holiday next Monday.
You are in the UK??
I would triple check with the school. I think it's highly unlikely to be open.

Doradolittle Thu 27-Apr-17 07:09:26

We are in England - its a private school, but by the sounds of it, it's unusual even for this type of school...

PatriciaHolm Thu 27-Apr-17 07:22:04

Schools with boarders will be "open" for the boarders, but unlikely to be so for day pupils for lessons. You have checked, right? ;-)

rollonthesummer Thu 27-Apr-17 07:24:40

Nope!

ineedaholidaynow Thu 27-Apr-17 07:27:24

I know of a local school that is open on Monday, it is a private school. I wondered whether it is because it is a boarding school.

Doradolittle Thu 27-Apr-17 07:50:40

yep - they sent email expressly telling us that all children are expected in - which was a surprise!

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Thu 27-Apr-17 10:49:44

Are you going to send your DD in, OP? I wonder what the attendance will be like. Surely many families will be going away.

I feel for the staff, not least because finding childcare on a BH Monday must be an absolute nightmare.

louisejxxx Thu 27-Apr-17 10:52:09

I've heard of private schools that are open this coming Monday x

unfortunateevents Thu 27-Apr-17 16:36:27

Dora has this been known all year or are parents only becoming aware of the school being open on Monday now?

ineedaholidaynow Thu 27-Apr-17 16:51:19

Assume parents who work in retail and healthcare and other jobs where people have to work on bank holidays have similar issues finding childcare.

The private school local to me which is open on Monday also had a staff inset day on Easter Monday.

Their term dates are clearly stated in their calendar.

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Thu 27-Apr-17 17:01:21

ineed eleven years married to a HCP, now an A&E consultant, have given me a pretty clear insight into that, thanks.

There are some careers where working BH, nights, and other unsociable hours is to be expected; emergency services, nursing, medicine, retail, etc.

Teaching isn't usually one of them and I briefly spared a though for the staff at this school. I'm sure they're all fine.

Dixiechickonhols Thu 27-Apr-17 20:07:24

The boarding school near here with Day pupils is open bank holiday. Dd used to go to a day nursery which opened bank holidays and she used to go at least part of day even though we were off, we had to pay anyway and chance to do diy etc, she liked it was always a party day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now