Talk

Advanced search

Accelerated Reading scheme - I could scream

(9 Posts)
Everyoneafter3 Tue 25-Apr-17 22:10:52

Y1 dd got a score of zero per cent after quizzing today... on a book she hadn't read yet!!!!! And has been moved down a level, and was very upset.

Of course she should have said she hadn't read it but aaaaargh why was she even allowed to quiz! She's six and her teacher knows she has massive issues with speaking up: we're all working on it.

I've written a note in the reading diary and I'll speak to the teacher too but such a lot of upset could have been avoided today!

stripeyfish Wed 26-Apr-17 16:08:39

How the teacher supposed to know she hadn't read it if your dd didn't say anything?

Everyoneafter3 Wed 26-Apr-17 17:04:42

Exactly! I'm exasperated with dd, not the teacher (although we always sign the diary when she's read).

irvineoneohone Wed 26-Apr-17 18:21:59

How does the AR works? Does it determine the level automatically? If so, read the book, and take the test again?
If teacher decides the level, talk to the teacher and explain.
Easily resolved either way?
If she was meant to read the book and she didn't, and couldn't tell the teacher, I can't see how teacher would know not to test her. I wouldn't expect the teacher to go through 30 diaries to check if they read the book or not before the test.

Trifleorbust Wed 26-Apr-17 18:52:51

Does it really matter? I hear you that she is upset but can't you simply explain that she will go back up next time?

And you are massively unreasonable to ask why she was allowed to take the quiz. The teacher isn't a mind reader.

Trifleorbust Wed 26-Apr-17 18:53:27

Oh and it is possible to delete a quiz result. I wouldn't do it myself but the teacher might if she hadn't read the book.

Everyoneafter3 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:44:20

I'm not annoyed with the teacher - of course she isn't a mind reader - I'm exasperated with dd. AR seems to require a level of personal responsibility, which dd seems to lack!

blacklist2000 Wed 26-Apr-17 20:55:09

My ds who is also yr1 is on the accelerated reader scheme too. The librarian was really not keen to let him go on it as she feels they do need a good level of personal responsibility to choose the right books, sign them in/out, do the quiz's promptly (in our school ds has to ask for the iPad and log himself in etc) - she wants yr2 and above on it ideally.

Ds is very mature for his age and extremely communicative and conscientious and his teacher wanted him to be on it, so he is but I do agree it's not always the right thing for little ones.

gleegeek Wed 26-Apr-17 20:58:47

My dd at the same age would have been exactly the same OP! She would be too worried she'd get into trouble if she spoke up. Now 13 she's much more confident and an avid reader.
Try not to worry about it, just explain to the teacher what's happened - I'm sure it can all be sorted out painlessly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now