Talk

Advanced search

Waiting list position

(9 Posts)
Gingham1 Thu 20-Apr-17 10:58:31

Hi, there are a few threads with parents mentioning waiting list positions following this weeks offers. I haven't been able to obtain this from the school or the local authority? Is there a way of finding this out or is it a waiting game, I was told to wait for the second round of offers.

Unfortunately we weren't offered any school on our application.
Thank you

2014newme Thu 20-Apr-17 13:09:26

Even if you weren't offered one of your choices, you must have been offered a school?

soapboxqueen Thu 20-Apr-17 13:47:11

Different authorities run things differently. Mainly you need to get on the waiting list. For some it's automatic, for others they must request it. Some won't open the list until they've done second round offers eg late applications.

Don't refuse your place. Find out when the lists open. Then get yourself on it.

Wait lists aren't first come first served. They operate the same as the admissions criteria for the school.

tiggytape Thu 20-Apr-17 16:22:55

The way to find out is to call or email the LA and ask them to tell you.
Schools which are academies or VA church schools run their own lists so you would need to ask them.

Some can be funny about telling parents too early as realistically the lists won't even start to move for another couple of weeks (as people decline offers in favour of private school for example).
However, if you email to ask and also explain that you know the position can go down as well as up, they will usually let you know.

The key though above all that is to check you are actually on them and on all of the ones you want to be / expect to be on. The list position is nice to know but you can't actually do anything about it whereas being added to lists is something you can proactively do in the next week or so.

Gingham1 Thu 20-Apr-17 17:29:41

Sorry yes we were offered a school but not one on our application.

I did call the LA, they said We are automatically on the waiting list but they wouldn't give us any info on the position, this information will not be available until the second round of offers. That's why I asked here I guess, it seems the information given differs from borough to borough.

Yes it is nice to know, if there is any hope!

I might email in an weeks time.
Thank you

2014newme Thu 20-Apr-17 17:34:44

I guess lists ate changing by the minute and they can't be giving real time updates constantly.

Gingham1 Thu 20-Apr-17 17:43:43

Yes I appreciate that. With our LA it seems we will have to wait a month. The school were lovely but couldn't help.
Thanks a lot. We'll wait and see

NoYouDontKnowItAll Thu 20-Apr-17 18:22:16

Fwiw my son didn't get any of our choices either and I had to reject the one we were offered because of past problems with it, so have no idea what will happen next other than it's all up to me to sort it from now on.
Like you I don't know how to find out about waiting list positions - not sure I really wanna know in case it's too depressing - and I thought you were meant to be told why you've been refused/unsuccessful but I haven't been told anything and don't know how to find out this either

tiggytape Thu 20-Apr-17 18:41:48

and I thought you were meant to be told why you've been refused/unsuccessful but I haven't been told anything and don't know how to find out this either

This often comes in a letter if your area send them out. If not, you can email the LA and ask. It will be purely factual and probably based on your distance from the school (assuming you don't qualify under sibling / faith / other criteria).

Some councils put the information on their website that would enable you to see the stats too eg for each school they say how many applied under each category and where the cut off fell:

Category 1 (Looked After Children) - 2 - all offered
Category 2 (Siblings) - 27 - all offered
Category 3 (Straight Line Distance from Child's Home to School Gate) - 85 applications for 31 places. Last distance offered 356m.

You would need to know roughly your own distance to get a sense of how things stand and you would also need to contact the council (or school if an academy) to find out waiting list position

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now