Talk

Advanced search

Waiting lists

(9 Posts)
preschoolprimadonna Tue 18-Apr-17 21:46:48

We got our second choice of school which we feel ok about. We have the option to go on the waiting list for our first choice (single form entry, outstanding school, out of catchment). Unlikely to get a place but nothing to lose.

There is a field on the online form for supporting text. Our DD goes to preschool near this school and many of her friends will be going there. Obviously this is not an "appeal" reason but is there any point in adding this detail to the supporting text?

PatriciaHolm Tue 18-Apr-17 21:52:56

No, unless any reason moves you into a higher admissions category (eg you have a sibling at the school). Nothing that doesn't relate to admissions criteria is relevant I'm afraid.

Charmatt Tue 18-Apr-17 22:36:04

Add it if it makes you feel better but it has no bearing on the ranking your child will receive.

preschoolprimadonna Wed 19-Apr-17 10:16:16

Thank you. I shall leave it blank then.

kierenthecommunity Wed 19-Apr-17 10:26:27

The waiting list goes on distance. It may be worth looking on the LA website for the distance the furthest away child was last year, if you're only a street or two away you'll know you've a decent chance smile

preschoolprimadonna Wed 19-Apr-17 11:44:37

We are about a quarter of a mile away from the furthest admitted child so far. However they have admitted children from further away this year already than they did last year. I guess they must have a smaller birth year in this area this year!

However with only 30 children in the form, a waiting list position lower than about two I think is likely unsuccessful. We would find out the waiting list position at the end of May. I assume we can withdraw at that stage if we wanted.

It may be though that several of the children with a place may go to private school, as it is in an affluent area. This would release their place.

prh47bridge Wed 19-Apr-17 13:55:44

The waiting list goes on distance

Not entirely true but true enough in most cases. It goes on the school's admission criteria. In most cases everyone on the waiting list is in the same admissions category and the school uses distance as a tie breaker so yes, it does go on distance. However, in some circumstances the person who is at the head of the list will not be the person who is nearest to the school.

House34 Wed 19-Apr-17 15:11:10

I was talking to a friend explaining how useful this website was. I have only discovered it in the past few days and it is amazing! She wondered if I could ask a question on her behalf?

She applied to a school with a published admission number of 8 (A very small rural school). She knows that 6 of these places were taken up by siblings and she believes more than 4 people closer to the school also put it down as a 1st choice, in addition she knows of 3 parents who live closer and are going to go onto the waiting list. She would like to know if:

a) in is worth even going on the waiting list
b) can a school accept more children than it publishes?

Many thanks for all your help.

prh47bridge Wed 19-Apr-17 16:10:12

There is no priority for putting a school down as first choice. All that matters is how people match up to the admission criteria.

Without knowing how much churn there is with people leaving it is impossible to know whether it is worth going on the waiting list. However, I would certainly go for it. She doesn't lose anything by going on the waiting list and may get a place.

Yes a school can accept more children than its PAN. However, if they do take more they must still take them in admission criteria order. They can't admit Billy because they like that nice Mrs Jones unless Billy happens to be first on the waiting list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now