Talk

Advanced search

How do I decline a school place

(11 Posts)
Fifitrix9 Tue 18-Apr-17 08:23:53

When we applied for DD we hadn't heard if she had got a place at a local independent school.
Since then she has been offered and we have accepted a place there, and don't need a place at our local village school, but I'm not sure how to let them know!
Should it be done on the local authority website-I can't see anything?
Or do I contact the school directly & let them know?

GraceGrape Tue 18-Apr-17 08:26:07

It will usually be via the LA but give them a ring to check.

LIZS Tue 18-Apr-17 08:33:19

Write to whoever the email/letter came from. Probably LA.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 18-Apr-17 08:40:27

I would write to both but at the moment usually LEA control the lists. Thank you for letting them know. A surprising number of parents just don't bother meaning that other parents might be worrying about not having a nearby place for months unnecessarily.

Fifitrix9 Tue 18-Apr-17 08:44:17

Thanks everyone, I'll try & call the LEA this morning. Though I expect they'll be VERY busy!
Very aware that the local school is oversubscribed as it's lovely, so I want to make sure the place can be offered to another child ASAP smile

BellaGoth Tue 18-Apr-17 08:44:46

Ours is all online, I logged in this morning and had to choose to either accept or decline the place.

CountessOfStrathearn Tue 18-Apr-17 09:23:24

Here we have to let the school know directly. Hopefully your offer letter says?

Fifitrix9 Tue 18-Apr-17 10:07:50

Nope just an email with the name of the school she's been offered a place. Nothing to say it has to be accepted/declined and when I log into the website it's the same information.
I'll start with the LEA & contact the school when they open next week if I don't have any joy.

tiggytape Tue 18-Apr-17 10:34:07

If there isn't an option to decline it online where you view the result (not all areas have an accept / reject option online) then email your council admissions team and let them know.

If the school is a VA (church) school or academy, you can email them direct to tell them.

Dixiechickonhols Wed 19-Apr-17 00:00:30

You may need to tell both LA and school. I immediately notified LA but school then kept writing to me.

Venusflytwat Wed 19-Apr-17 00:06:29

Just send a quick email to your LA and copy the school in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now