Advanced search

gutted for my little boy

(124 Posts)
Bubblesquirt Tue 18-Apr-17 03:51:36

So he goes to a catholic school is in nursery there and hasnt got in to reception. Absolutely devastated been sat here crying. Hes been given a school 10 min drive away and im due another baby in october. C section, therea no way im gonna be able to get him there. Has anyone appealed and had any luck. Were in manchester area.

wickerlampshade Tue 18-Apr-17 05:31:43

I was driving 10 days after my section. Why won't you be able to get him there?

JunosRevenge Tue 18-Apr-17 05:36:12

I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 weeks after my section. I was told until the doc passed me as ok for driving, I wasn't insured...

wickerlampshade Tue 18-Apr-17 05:38:41

did the doctor actually say six weeks? general advice is as soon as you are safe to do an emergency stop. I felt safe at about 7 days but left it a bit longer just in case!

user1491572121 Tue 18-Apr-17 05:44:20

It all seems bad right now OP....but there will be ways round getting him to the new school. If you can't drive because of the section, is there someone else like your Mum who could take him?

I have had two sections and walked within a week of both. I was then getting buses and walking my older children to nursery. It wasn't easy but you do it because you have to.

If you're a lone parent, with no support, your HV will be able to advise on help with transport.

LouKout Tue 18-Apr-17 05:46:51

Good luck with the appeal!

Honeyandfizz Tue 18-Apr-17 05:51:26

Friend? Family? Partner? Taxi? To be fair it's only a six week period so you wouldn't win an appeal just on that basis.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 18-Apr-17 05:52:08

He legally doesn't have to start school until the term after he turns 5 so I would accept the other school, put your name down on every waiting list around and see how they pan out. To be honest if I could have I would have delayed dd starting just before her brother was born but it wasn't an option then. The school run with a newborn isn't much fun and she felt pushed out.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Tue 18-Apr-17 05:53:37

To be clearer ask to defer his start until Jan. Children move in and out quite a bit in the first year.

tiggytape Tue 18-Apr-17 07:30:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BakerBear Tue 18-Apr-17 07:34:19

I havent found out yet if dd has been accepted into the local school but other parents have been putting on that they have found out which one theres are going to. Im getting abit worried as im wondering why i havent heard anything yet

Devilishpyjamas Tue 18-Apr-17 07:39:20

The 6 week thing is a bit of a myth. I drove after a week or so after my second and third section. Didn't have much choice. I was told as long as you can do an emergency stop it's fine.

Devilishpyjamas Tue 18-Apr-17 07:40:58

The not insured thing is bollocks as well. I was told that after my first section, rang my insurer and and they didn't know what I was talking about.

Fitzsimmons Tue 18-Apr-17 07:41:17

BakerBear it depends on your council. National offer day was Saturday and some may have received an email then. I got my email today. If you didn't apply online then you should get a letter today. If not then you need to follow it up.

CoteDAzur Tue 18-Apr-17 07:43:08

I was also driving a week after my CS.

JennyOnAPlate Tue 18-Apr-17 07:44:14

I'm sorry to hear that op and I completely understand why you're upset flowers

I think you're probably being a bit over dramatic to say you won't be able to get him to the other school though. Presumably his dad will have a couple of weeks paternity leave? After which you can bus/taxi/walk?

coragreta Tue 18-Apr-17 07:44:28

Are you catholic? The Catholic Church Guarantees a catholic education for all catholic children. Doesn't mean they have to offer you your current school. It should provide an alternative within the dioceses.

Mysterycat23 Tue 18-Apr-17 07:46:05

My friend had a c section in February and her insurer refused to cover her until the doctor had signed her off at the 6 week check.

bsmirched Tue 18-Apr-17 07:46:58

The 6 week thing is definitely rubbish. I too phoned my insurers and they said to get the ok from my doctor. I asked them if I needed to get back to them with proof from the doctor and they said no. My doctor's assessment of me was over the phone and I was back driving after a fortnight.

Northgate Tue 18-Apr-17 07:49:04

Will the council offer help with transport?

Where I live, they'll provide help if you're allocated a school more than 2 miles walking distance from home, provided that the school counts as the nearest suitable school.

(a suitable school being one that can educate the child adequately and has a space available for the child in question)

CycleHire Tue 18-Apr-17 07:54:16

I think those of you telling the OP she'll be able to drive no problem are being a bit unfair. Everyone's recovery is different and it's best to be cautious.

OP - you're obviously upset but try not to let your son see that. Accept the place and get him on the waiting list. Check if you have grounds to appeal - I believe you're unlikely to win unless they've made a mistake administering their own process. Good luck.

Fairylea Tue 18-Apr-17 07:55:35

I'm shocked at all the posters saying they drove a week or so after a c section. The reason you're supposed to wait 6 weeks is because you have to be able to complete an emergency stop without hesitation. While the stomach muscles are recovering from surgery it makes it harder to push down on the pedals with as much strength and also because your mind tells you to be careful you don't react as quickly. That's why- it's not about insurance, you don't have to even tell your insurance company you've had a c section.

I had an elective c section and waited the full 6 weeks to drive and even then I felt a bit shaky and poorly.

Op I think you should just accept the place for now while you find out what options you have about appealing etc and if the worst comes to the worst then you will just have to be honest with the school and see what they suggest.

Devilishpyjamas Tue 18-Apr-17 07:58:35

I waited until I could do an emergency stop and was told the 6 week thing was rubbish by my insurers.

I wouldn't have driven the length of the country but driving a few miles within town wasn't a problem at all. If it had been I wouldn't have driven.

Devilishpyjamas Tue 18-Apr-17 07:59:39

I tested my emergency stop before driving btw - it was fine. It was much easier driving than walking up hills etc.

welshweasel Tue 18-Apr-17 08:03:57

Another one who drove after 10 days. The only advice I was given by the hospital was to check I could do an emergency stop before driving and to be careful if carrying the baby in the car seat (I didn't, I used a sling). There's no need to tell your insurance company at all. Anyway, sorry you're upset OP, have you seen the school that you've been allocated? It might be brilliant. 10 mins drive isn't that far away, you may well find other local parents who would help you out short term.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: