Talk

Advanced search

Khan Academy

(7 Posts)
Arkadia Sun 16-Apr-17 20:41:44

On the advice of someone here we have started looking at Khan Academy for maths.
Well, what can I say... It is FAN-TAS-TIC!!! And it is FREE!!!!
(Looking on Google seemingly they get their money through (some large) donations.)

We started looking at videos, but I found them a bit verbose at times. Instead I/we find it much better to work through the practice sessions skipping the videos altogether (although we did find the introduction to fractions useful). My kids are working through the sections (second and third grade) and seem very engaged. Usually I try to keep the explaining to the bare minimum and let them get on with it. If there is a more difficult topic they can just keep practicing it and them move on. Who would have thought you can come up with so many different exercises for early maths... (OK, some do look a bit convoluted, but still smile )

At the moment we alternate between that and sumdog (or is it dogsum... I can never remember), but the skills required are very different, so I find that they complement each other nicely, at this level at least.

Anyway, highly recommended if you would like to stretch your child. And the good thing is that you can simply zip through the sections if something is too easy, or slow down if you find something more challenging.

AND IT IS FREE!!!!!! (There MUST be a catch...)

PS
NO affiliation WHATSOEVER ;) I am just enthused. I wish my kids found their school equally enthusing, but that is an altogether different kettle of fish.

irvineoneohone Sun 16-Apr-17 20:50:39

It's not just maths that's fantastic about Khan!

Computing, science, grammar and partner contents are our favorites.

No, there's no catch, if you like, you can donate, and also you can help other learners with your knowledge.(Answer community questions.)
( I recommended this site so much, once I was accused by a poster that I must work for them!)

Arkadia Sun 16-Apr-17 20:56:54

I had a look at they "curriculum" and we need to look at the grammar section as well. smile

irvineoneohone Sun 16-Apr-17 21:43:32

For maths tutorial videos, I prefer Mathantics and AOPS, but grammar tutorial videos are fab!

Arkadia Mon 17-Apr-17 08:23:36

Irvine, i was wondering, are you using their app? I cannot replicate on the app what I see on my computer, i.e. I don't see the practice sessions or the division of the material, so I cannot pick up where I left off. No problem if I use the web version obviously, but on a mobile it doesn't work great.

irvineoneohone Mon 17-Apr-17 11:17:01

No, ds don't like using apps, so we only use it on pc. Sorry.

Arkadia Tue 02-May-17 21:16:55

Irvine,
am I wrong in saying that the grammar part gets quickly quite advanced? I wanted to start with that for DD2 (we have run out of maths things to do for now), but I am not sure whether I should just jump here and there or follow methodically their list.
What is your experience?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now