Talk

Advanced search

SATS

(30 Posts)
FiveMoreMinutesPlease Fri 14-Apr-17 16:40:56

Last year the KS2 SATS were changed and were harder due to the new curriculum and the level of knowledge needed by the pupils. As a result many children didn't "pass" and this looked bad for the government. Do you think they will be slightly easier this year?

mrz Fri 14-Apr-17 16:47:40

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/government-makes-sats-an-easier-ride-after-fiasco-last-year/ whether the actual content of the tests will be easier or just the format is anyone's guess

FiveMoreMinutesPlease Fri 14-Apr-17 17:02:30

That's interesting reading. The maths reasoning paper we've had over the holidays is so wordy that my DS gets confused. He is lower/middle ability so if the real paper is as hard as last year he'll be very demoralised.

The Y6 children at my DS primary have had assemblies on stress and how to handle it.

gojettersgo Fri 14-Apr-17 17:07:45

Governor hear, no I don't think they will. They're here to stay.

The reasons they are harder are complex. It's not just the level of difficulty as our school found out. It's also the amount of content, and the style of questioning.

All the maths questions are tough comprehension questions, very wordy so a child may be able to do the maths but not be able to decipher the question.

The marking is harsh, e.g. if the answer is correct, but spelt wrong then no mark given. Our school got caught out big time with this.

If your child is sitting the SATs, please try not to worry as the results will have little affect on their long term education. They are mainly a test of the school.

Trb17 Fri 14-Apr-17 17:09:04

I hope this is true as DD has been stressing about them. That said, her school has sat so many practice tests that she's not as bothered as she was.

gojettersgo Fri 14-Apr-17 17:09:40

Sorry cross post

mrz Fri 14-Apr-17 17:53:08

https://consult.education.gov.uk/assessment-policy-and-development/primary-assessment/ you could always express your views on assessment in the government consultation here ...

mrz Fri 14-Apr-17 17:53:53

The unions are talking about taking industrial action in the form of a boycott.

Feenie Sat 15-Apr-17 11:22:36

But not until 2019.

'Governor hear'? [grin*

mrz Sat 15-Apr-17 11:27:17

No mark given ...but lots of misinformation

Feenie Sat 15-Apr-17 11:28:25

The marking is harsh, e.g. if the answer is correct, but spelt wrong then no mark given. Our school got caught out big time with this.

I'm afraid that's incorrect and didn't happen. There were examples of strict marking for other reasons - e.g. commas faciing the right direction in a question re placing commas.

SkeletonSkins Sat 15-Apr-17 16:54:47

^ depends on the question, there's a fair few questions in the SPAG which must be spelt write to get the mark e.g. writing a contraction, writing an adjective derived from create etc. Not in the maths though.

SkeletonSkins Sat 15-Apr-17 16:55:11

Hahahahah hilarious that I've used the incorrect 'right'. I'm tired.

mrz Sat 15-Apr-17 17:07:22

No skeleton marks weren't deducted for spelling mistakes except in the actual spelling test.

SkeletonSkins Sat 15-Apr-17 17:29:27

Sorry mrz, but they were. I'm a y6 teacher who has marked this paper. See attached SPaG mark scheme pic for two examples (35 and 36 on the SPaG)

mrz Sat 15-Apr-17 17:48:33

Sorry yes it was possible to drop one mark on question 36 if they didn't accurately make the adjective from the given noun. I'd forgot all about that question.

SkeletonSkins Sat 15-Apr-17 17:53:03

There were a few marks sadly, they're not the only examples. A few lost the mark for 'threw' as they went for 'through' or misspelt caught.

mrz Sat 15-Apr-17 18:16:29

Or knowing irregular verb tenses

Campfiresmoke Sat 15-Apr-17 23:10:29

My poor dyslexic child is majorly disadvantaged by the SATS tests which make him look as though ""he is stupid" (his words) because of they are marked where' as actually his ed psychologist assessment showed he is top 80% of children intelligence wise.
His self esteem is rock bottom after weeks and weeks of practice tests in school when he scores very low and has to read his scores out in front of everyone.
I am so glad they have dropped the resits. He will never be able to pass SATS and if resits had happened he would have to endlessly go over SATS coursework while his peers moved ahead with the curriculum.
I hate what SATS are doing to him. I try and combat the effects but Year 6 has been all about SATS since Feb half term.

mrz Sun 16-Apr-17 06:48:08

I'm afraid secondary won't be any better tests tests and more tests

CPtart Sun 16-Apr-17 07:17:02

Agreed. DS2 did the new SATS last year. They're not just a measure of the school though. Many secondaries use them to 'set' for entry into year seven. Although DS says they've been re-tested (numerous times) there's been virtually no movement.

FiveMoreMinutesPlease Sun 16-Apr-17 08:29:44

My DD did them last year so now in secondary. However in her school there is movement in the maths sets. They are not streamed for anything else until year 8.
There are loads of assessments though but at least it is different topics and just SPAG, maths and comprehension. Year 7 is a breath of fresh air after year 6 so far at least. I might think differently for my DS.

TwoLeftSocks Sun 16-Apr-17 08:35:51

I read that the reading test texts will be ordered easiest first to hardest, meaning that most children will at least start it all happy that they can answer something. Last year's was horrible in that respect, I'll not surprised it left children on tears.

FiveMoreMinutesPlease Sun 16-Apr-17 09:13:36

I hope that's true twoleftsocks* . I'm* going through the practice papers with my son (set by school for homework) and he needs a lot of support. Thankfully, he has an amazing attitude and his teachers are really pleased with his progress from year 3 to year 6. We'll focus on that.

mrz Sun 16-Apr-17 09:37:14

We didn't have any tears but a few children ran out of time because they spent too long on the first questions rather than moving on as taught.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now