Talk

Advanced search

Moving Tables yr4

(87 Posts)
Stopshrieking Thu 13-Apr-17 20:10:41

Ds was on top table for a subject he likes and is good at - he didn't get on with Child B who is known for being confrontational to other children so Ds was moved down to next ability group and not child B. Ds feels a bit sad about this as teacher even said to me that child B is known for making fun of others a lot but Ds has to learn not to react and that he had moved tables that day. At the time I didn't know how my son felt and ability wise they are both very able in this subject and ds is probably slightly stronger - but overall academically child B would be higher level and they are also middle class where we are working class.
I've tried to tell ds that the table doesn't matter and he can still work well on the group he is in now - but he liked and thrived by working with a group who were similar and higher ability than him - so he is now on a table where he is being asked for answers from the others. Is it worth asking teacher why he moved ds even though it's common knowledge that child B causes and still causes a lot of issues.

irvineoneohone Thu 13-Apr-17 20:17:20

I find it bit odd about your comment about being a working class or middle class...Does that affect teachers attitude towards pupils at your ds' school?

If you are unhappy, talk to the teacher, but the reason for move may be different from what you think.

Stopshrieking Thu 13-Apr-17 20:27:31

Irv -
Teacher said to me that he had moved ds as ds and child B didn't get on and argued a lot. I don't think it's because he should be lower group as they already said that he is exceeding in that area.
Mc/wc my thought is that teacher is likely to relate to parents in a way that I can't do it's easier to move my ds.
I'd like Mumsnet views on if it's something I should just let go or if it's worth talking to teacher

Stopshrieking Thu 13-Apr-17 20:30:50

Sorry moved from pc to phone

mrz Thu 13-Apr-17 20:46:15

I'm not clear why your child has been moved is it because of how he reacted to child B ? Has he been moved permanently or for the day?

Stopshrieking Thu 13-Apr-17 20:56:03

Mrz permanently as he and child b argue a lot - they play together but argue on table too

SkeletonSkins Thu 13-Apr-17 21:01:29

Did you or your son bring up the issue? Normally I move whoever it is that is unhappy where they are, or child of the parent who's requested a split.

We had similar in that child A didn't want to be with child B in a room for a residential. It was child A that had the issue so child A that was moved.

There's only a term to go, as long as your son is still getting work to his ability level I can't see the issue. I think you perhaps are viewing being moved as a punishment, when it should be viewed as just trying something different.

SkeletonSkins Thu 13-Apr-17 21:02:11

Worth saying that it might be your son is the just the easier one to move, if child b is a bit argumentative and gets on with the others on that table except for your son.

irvineoneohone Thu 13-Apr-17 21:16:55

What Skeleton says makes sense. If either your ds or you asked the teacher to separate them, it is only fair to move him, not the other child.
Or teacher decided to separate them, because they are distracting the class, and your ds has been seen as a cause for it rather than other child.

As for being lower table, as long as he gets same work from top table, it really doesn't matter, imo. It's still in the same class room, isn't it?

MamaSloth Thu 13-Apr-17 21:53:29

Are the children really seated by ability? Is there a top table, a middle table and a lower ability table? I'm a primary teacher and I've never heard of this happening. Normally, children would all sit mixed together but the different groups would do different work, so you might not be doing the same work as the others at your table. I swap around seats at the start of every term and move individuals when the need arises. I think you need to clarify with the teacher if he has been moved ability group, and if so, why.

Stopshrieking Thu 13-Apr-17 21:55:33

Thank you
Just to clarify I didn't ask for a move I wasn't aware until after it had happened - but I don't know if other parent did.

irvineoneohone Thu 13-Apr-17 22:24:04

If other parents or child asked for separation and your ds was moved, it is a bit unfair, unless teacher had a good reason for it.
Maybe the teacher thought your ds can do well anywhere, and the other child can make more distraction, etc.

As for moving to lower table, my ds was moved last year for one subject, because he wasn't doing so well on the top table, easily distracted and being too slow. He was getting same work as top table, and got exceeding expected at the end of year, despite being on second table.
So, as long as he keep up his work, it really doesn't matter where he sits, ime.

mrz Fri 14-Apr-17 06:29:47

I think you need to talk to the teacher for reassurance that your child will still be given appropriate work despite the move and an explanation for the move. I'd be very shocked if "class" has anything to do with the decision

Lepetitmarsellais Fri 14-Apr-17 08:16:15

Seating children by social class is unfortunately standard practice in primary schools. In DS' school they have upper MC table, MC, lower MC, WC and underclass tables.

mrz Fri 14-Apr-17 08:19:32

Ridiculous!

Lepetitmarsellais Fri 14-Apr-17 08:20:32

Teachers always deny it.

pnguin Fri 14-Apr-17 08:24:06

Lepetit surely not?! Seating by ability is bad enough, but seating by class? No way.

RandomDent Fri 14-Apr-17 08:24:45

It's true, mrz. When I worked in a school that only had children from one council estate, I had one big table because they were all the same social class. 26 of them sat round it. wink

Lepetitmarsellais Fri 14-Apr-17 08:32:56

It is true. DS' yr1 class recently did some work on recognising money. Most of the class were given coins but the top table worked exclusively with notes. Speaks for itself really.

FabulouslyGlamorousFerret Fri 14-Apr-17 08:34:46

Yes, our school seats by class too, MC and gentry are seated they don't 'sit' nearer the exits in case there is a fire or other emergency and they will naturally be saved first.

FabulouslyGlamorousFerret Fri 14-Apr-17 08:36:51

Your children are obviously at a better school than mine lepit - our wc aren't allowed to use real money in maths in case they steal it.

irvineoneohone Fri 14-Apr-17 08:41:09

How does teacher know what class you are?
They don't ask your occupation/ income/background when we apply?
I don't think my ds' school even know my nationality unless he told himself!

mrz Fri 14-Apr-17 08:45:21

*"*^*Most of the class were given coins but the top table worked exclusively with notes. Speaks for itself really.*^*"*
Of course it could be that the children on that table had shown they could work with coins so we're progressing to notes as the National Curriculum states that children should "know and recognise the value of different denominations of *coins* and ^*notes*^"

RoseSonata Fri 14-Apr-17 08:46:35

Also the top table are taught to pronounce their H's while the bottom table drop theirs

pnguin Fri 14-Apr-17 09:04:13

But what if the underclass children become criminals? Surely they will need to know about paper money. Did the upper MC children have Amex cards too? wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now