Talk

Advanced search

A house in Rowledge village but local school place unlikely -advice please!

(12 Posts)
billex22b Fri 07-Apr-17 11:35:58

Dear Mums in Rowledge area and surrounds

We've finally found a house to buy and it's in Rowledge. And it's April. So school places have been handed out and accepted. My daughter is currently in reception so would need a year 1 place from Sep 17. I am kicking myself as to whether I could have started this process sooner ie spoken to heads, gone to various schools etc, but we've been operating a fairly large village search across south Farnham and into Hampshire and did not until now have a home and a potential postal address to apply with

SO. I emailed admissions at Rowledge primary and said I intended to apply for an inyear place, but could I get an idea of my chances. The response though friendly and helpful was not positive and fairly blanket - there is a waiting list for reception and no children are leaving as they know of - so one in and one out essentially. I have lost slight perspective on this as I DREAMED of walking my kids to school in the village where we lived, and I know this is a good school. I am looking for nuggets of positivity from other local mums who may have been in this situation. Is it the end of the world if she goes to another village school? Will it hamper our ability to make mum and school friends and get stuck into school community? And is there any point my pursuing this with the school, even if she gets a place later in the school year and has to go somewhere else in between?

Some advice, (and perspective) from mums in the know or in the local area would be much appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
mouldycheesefan Fri 07-Apr-17 13:42:34

Well no, it's not the end of the world is it?

hamandmustard Fri 07-Apr-17 13:55:15

Well depending on what the admission criteria and so probably on how close you live and are your daughter could go straight to number 1 on the waiting list?

billex22b Fri 07-Apr-17 13:56:54

No and I do know that, but I have no idea how village life works and how cliquey school communities are and so how much of a difference this would make

mouldycheesefan Fri 07-Apr-17 14:00:00

If you are in a different school, you will get to know the kids and parents there. But doing something with the local kids in your village such as brownies would be a good idea. Then if she does switch school,she'll already know a few people.

AalyaSecura Fri 07-Apr-17 14:02:23

I think in the past a few children have switched to private school from y2 on, so spaces may start to crop up later on if you still wanted to switch.

billex22b Fri 21-Apr-17 10:44:50

Thank you for all this sensible advice, I think I lot a bit of perspective! I have looked into stuff in the local area and there is loads my daughter can get involved in to meet some local kids to feeling much better. And who knows I may get lucky and get in on the waiting list you never know! x

Campfiresmoke Fri 21-Apr-17 22:04:20

OP have a look at St Peters Wreccelsham. It's a very lovely C of E school too. I know someone whose children go there and they say it's great.

billex22b Wed 10-May-17 13:49:21

Thanks Campfiresmoke I am waiting to hear if they have places, in which case I will def take a look round and bung it down on my top three. I have also found out that Highfield South Farnham School has places so visiting them next week. Both those schools seem to be on the uppers and doing well. Feeling much more positive and I quite like idea of my kids getting out of our village and attending one of the schools nearer Farnham anyway, and it gets me out and about too!

Delancy Wed 14-Jun-17 12:06:17

How did you get on at Highfield School OP?
Are you a church going family? That might help you get higher up the list with Rowledge.
Are you in a position to go private, because there are some good independents right on your doorstep there, Frensham Heights and Edgeborough are both good from what I hear.

billex22b Mon 07-Aug-17 15:01:40

Helloo I really liked Highfield and I have a place there now, so very relieved. Seemed really happy and positive, children looked cared for, great facilities. St Peters did not have a place so I didn't really have an option anyway. We are pretty lapsed Christians so I don't think that route is worth investigating, and we never intended to go private unless we had a poor selection but luckily all these schools look great, although I was rather stunned by the paddocks and fields at Frensham Heights very Hogwarts, hey ho!

Letitgoletitgo Tue 30-Apr-19 12:02:18

Hello, I know this is an old post, but just wanted to say as, my children are at Rowledge school, that they often take extra children in a ks2 - which I believe for you would be this sept? They go from 30 up to 32 in the class, so if you wanted to make a move across there could be the possibility.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in