Talk

Advanced search

Book suggestions for a free reading 6 1/2 year old

(35 Posts)
Mibby16 Tue 04-Apr-17 20:21:45

Does anyone have any book suggestions for a free reading 6 1/2 year old girl please. Series rather than single books if possible. I'm tempted to let her loose on my Harry Potter but the content of the later ones is a little too much

Grumpbum Tue 04-Apr-17 20:23:04

My free reading 6 year old loves the following

Grumpbum Tue 04-Apr-17 20:24:48

Oops
The 13th storey treehouse series
Famous five
Beast quest
Dinosaur cove
Early Roald Dahl
Magic treehouse

Blumkin Tue 04-Apr-17 20:25:24

Mine loves the rainbow faries range, but mainly because the covers are glittery.

What about all the mister men books, simple, loads of pictures, one book a night.

Marge in charge

Worst witch

Enid Blyton

RapidlyOscillating Tue 04-Apr-17 20:25:42

Ramona, worst witch, my naughty little sister, milly molly Mandy, the naughtiest girl at the school, all the faraway tree etc books, there's loads, Harry Potter would be wasted!

RapidlyOscillating Tue 04-Apr-17 20:26:16

I am assumed there's some written in the last 25 years too!

lovelyredwine Tue 04-Apr-17 20:30:42

My 6 year old DD is enjoying the worst witch series at the moment.

She has also enjoyed Zoe's rescue Zoo and the Holly Webb books.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Tue 04-Apr-17 20:32:59

DS (also 6.5) loves:

Famous Five
Beast Quest
Mr Majeika
Faraway Tree
Claude books

He also loves the 'choose your own adventure' type books with puzzles in.

Whizz Pop Bang is a great magazine and Beano if you are not precious!

Lowdoorinthewal1 Tue 04-Apr-17 20:33:30

Oh and Astrosaurs!

Wandastartup Tue 04-Apr-17 20:34:35

Daisy and the trouble with series( there are loads)

Doobydoo Tue 04-Apr-17 20:36:08

The ogre downstairs is fab. It is a one off though. How about Professor Branestawm....

Batbear Tue 04-Apr-17 20:45:45

My DS has enjoyed You're a Bad Man Mr Gum! (And the rest of that series).

He's ready the first HP now, but we'll slow down as it gets a bit heavy.

Pimmmms Tue 04-Apr-17 20:48:06

The Treehouse Series, (first one is 13 storey treehouse) by Andy Griffiths. My DC absolutley loved it and are rereading it.

Winterbelle Tue 04-Apr-17 20:50:09

Eliza Boom
Winnie the Witch
Worst Witch

Hold off from the Dork Diaries for as long as you can! My DD keeps picking them from the school library.

catkind Tue 04-Apr-17 20:51:41

When you say free reader - what sorts of things has she read and liked recently? Has she read all the picture books she wants to? DS still liked stuff like Winnie the Witch, Elmer, Mr Men, TtTE at that age. But I'm guessing we're talking younger chapter books?

Here's a few things DC have loved recently (5 and nearly 8, but they have similar tastes so hopefully not too far out for 6.5).

Rainbow Fairies x about 50 (both children love, I hate them though)
Jeremy Strong - 100 mile an hour dog series and My Brother's Famous Bottom series going down well.
Ottoline
Claude
Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
The Owl who was afraid of the Dark & others (so sweet!)
Winnie the Witch chapter books
Worst Witch
Mr Gum
Teddy Robinson
Winnie the Pooh

catkind Tue 04-Apr-17 20:53:34

Doobydoo, must find Professor Branestawm! I used to love those so much! Brilliant suggestion, thanks. (I do love book threads.)

capercaillie Tue 04-Apr-17 20:56:53

Mr Gum
Zoe's rescue zoo
Puppy academy series by Gill Lewis
Sophie series by dick king-smith - these are brilliant
Claude

mummc2 Tue 04-Apr-17 20:59:03

At that age my dd enjoyed daisy and the trouble with... and horrid Henry early readers

Mibby16 Tue 04-Apr-17 21:11:43

Thanks for the great suggestions, we'll get to the library and look some of these up. Famous five and faraway tree I probably have copies of in my mums attic smile

Tiggles Tue 04-Apr-17 21:35:54

Monster and chips
And there was a series about a family who live on a canal boat and the parents are vets in a zoo. I think one had bats in the title... (were on book people)

wornoutboots Wed 05-Apr-17 11:40:17

my 6 year old loves horrid henry.

Greenleave Wed 05-Apr-17 12:17:32

Nice book recommendations from everyone here!

Just two notesfrom our reading experience at 6.5
I had to stop mine reading Horrid Henry because she found him funny and started acting like him. Secondly, she picked HP from our book case and we couldnt stop her, she finishes them all in one go. I am sure she didnt understand everything however we didnt stop her. Recently she read to kill a mocking bird(she is now yr4) and asked loads of questions, we had to explain it in a "suitable to a 9 yrs old mind" way, I am sure she didnt appreciate the book fully however we didnt stop her reading it. Most ofher books are age appropriate though. We missed few good recommendations above, will top up for my second child.

mrsmortis Wed 05-Apr-17 12:46:12

Dick King Smith was a big one for us. The Sophie books for starters but then The Sheep Pig, Saddlebottom, The Foxbusters, Harry's Mad, etc.

My DD was also very threat averse so we read a lot of poetry (Please Mrs Butler was a hit) and non fiction. Because there were a lot of books that she could read but wasn't emotionally ready for (even the gobins in Rainbow Magic were too much for her initially!). For non fiction she loved the Usborne look inside books but also liked things like the books that accompany Prof Brian Cox's Wonders series'.

Ferguson Thu 06-Apr-17 20:14:07

Any of Arthur Ransome's are good - the first being Swallows and Amazons - and they are not only good entertaining stories, but they also convey life in the 1930s accurately, so have a element of history. They also cover some nature topics, and describe what it is like to sail in a small boat.

Trifleorbust Thu 06-Apr-17 22:33:08

Although I am now reading 'Five Give Up the Booze', I would definitely recommend Enid grin.
I loved the Mallory Towers/St Clare's series at that age.

I would also recommend Swallows and Amazons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now