Talk

Advanced search

KS1 SATs could be scrapped under new government plans.

(18 Posts)
Hulababy Thu 30-Mar-17 18:48:19

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39436927

Just been reading this.

I can't see them just going, and there not being some other form of end of KS1 assessments really though. But we shall see.

mrz Thu 30-Mar-17 18:53:22

Isn't the idea to "test" on entry to reception and measure progress across primary rather than three years in

irvineoneohone Thu 30-Mar-17 18:57:37

IMO, KS1 sats is pointless.
Attainment for end of KS1 is TA anyway, so what's the point of having massive pressure for this? I think having tests are ok, but if it is just small part of TA, it should be treated as nothing as big as this.

Hulababy Thu 30-Mar-17 18:59:12

Apparently so. Though didn't the last attempt at more formal on entry assessment stall before it really got going?

So maybe back to teacher assessment and judgements for the end of infants?

Hulababy Thu 30-Mar-17 19:00:02

I agree irvine - if only all schools really would put much less pressure on the KS1 SAT papers and far more emphasis on TA.

mrz Thu 30-Mar-17 19:13:12

The previous attempt failed because they used three different types of assessment (which measured different things in different ways) so couldn't be compared and left it up to schools to decide which they used if any. From what I understand this time they're considering statutory assessment using a single i option.

mrz Thu 30-Mar-17 19:15:46

Our Y2 children will face the pilot reading test first week back after Easter (administered by outside source) so no chance of low key

irvineoneohone Thu 30-Mar-17 19:26:50

Why no chance of low key? The actual testing may be formal, but everything leading up to it could be low key if school wanted to measure true ability of children, without cramming?

If the school is teaching NC properly, there would be no need for boosters and cramming for the test at this stage of primary?

mrz Thu 30-Mar-17 19:35:12

So it's low key for a complete stranger to come in and formally administer tests over two days hmm

irvineoneohone Thu 30-Mar-17 19:43:40

Are you deliberately missing my point? I said the test with total stranger maybe formal, but everything building up to it doesn't need to be.....

mrz Thu 30-Mar-17 20:24:05

So you agree the testing isn't low key which is what I was talking about.

mrz Thu 30-Mar-17 20:26:46

https://consult.education.gov.uk/assessment-policy-and-development/primary-assessment/consultation/intro/

irvineoneohone Thu 30-Mar-17 20:31:21

To me, as a parent, what happens on 2 certain days of the school year doesn't really matter.
There are lots of occasions that children need to be in "formal" situation.
But as a parent, I don't want the school to make it a big issue.
I am sure there some parents who get worked up when hearing there will be formal testing with outside people. I wouldn't want it to effect my child, and would like to treat it as something that happens, as normal possible as it can be.

mrz Thu 30-Mar-17 20:40:26

To me as a parent and a teacher what matters on those two days is very important.

irvineoneohone Thu 30-Mar-17 20:55:09

I don't know mrz, I am not saying it's not important. I can't say in English to make sense what I want to say, really. If I try to explain, I am sure it will make it even more confusing what I am trying to say, so I will stop here.

spanieleyes Thu 30-Mar-17 21:17:01

The goalposts are already shifting though. Last year when moderated, the moderators were told NOT to take account of test results when confirming teacher assessments but "just" evidence in books etc. This year we have been informed by our LA moderating team that the actual test papers MUST be provided at moderation and that the test scores MUST be used in our assessment to such an extent that anyone scoring less than 98 will be "highly unlikely" to be assessed as meeting expected standard. So, the test results are suddenly the basis for the teacher assessment rather than a small part of it!

mrz Thu 30-Mar-17 21:18:57

I'm saying that it doesn't matter what the school has done for the rest of the year those two days aren't low key and for some children will be a real issue. I know some children in last years class would have had a full on melt down just having a stranger in class without the added testing luckily this years class are less likely to be upset by someone unfamiliar

Feenie Thu 30-Mar-17 22:06:28

Part of the problem is the mixed messages from different LEAs again - our LEA hasn't told us anything like that, spanieleyes, and there are all sorts of arbitrary 'rules' floating about on social media that aren't in the moderation guidance or the TAG and are only given by certain authorities. It's even worse than last year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now