Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Been refused school place (reason included) do I have a hope at appeal?

(3 Posts)
usernjdhkvdgkb Tue 28-Mar-17 20:58:49

Trying to change dd to your local (catchment) primary for lots of reasons mainly being how unhappy she is in current school and how unhappy I am with the school

The school only have 13 in the year group she needs (y5) and can take 15 so effectively have 2 spaces, but has been refused on the bases of come September when the current years 4 move up they will have 35 in class!

But going by there numbers the following September when the next year group moves up they will have a class of 41

I would like to appeal this decision and was holding someone may have experience or advice on what route to go down ?? Or even if I'm wasting my time by even trying

TeenAndTween Tue 28-Mar-17 21:07:06

Repost this in Primary Education where various admissions experts hang out.
Better to have 3 good quality responses than 50 people guessing.

prh47bridge Wed 29-Mar-17 08:23:37

As they are below PAN in the year an appeal has a good chance of success. The problem in September clearly comes about because they have admitted beyond PAN in Y4. The fact that the class will be even bigger next year is a point in your favour.

The first point in your appeal should be that they are below PAN in the relevant year and therefore they should admit your daughter as there are places available. You should also point out the numbers next year to counter their argument about what happens in September.

You should also explain why your daughter will be disadvantaged if she doesn't attend this school. Don't be negative about her current school unless you have documented evidence of the school failing to meet her needs, e.g. not taking effective action against bullying. Concentrate on the positives of the school you want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now