Talk

Advanced search

Primary school allocations

(5 Posts)
Gemmaln Tue 28-Mar-17 19:08:58

Hiya. First time posting!

Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience or advice for a situation we are currently in as I'm sick with worrying.

Long story short, my 6 year old has been statemented and attends a special school 8 (driving) miles away.

We have applied for my daughter to attend a primary school (sons previous school - his year was open to anyone to apply to) and a 2 minute drive from sons school.

What are the chances do you think that they will accept her? As I can't be in two places at once as the nearest school times clash with my sons school.
Special school don't offer out of hours clubs and childminders in the schools area aren't interested in taking him on (🙁)
Son would be entitled to free transport but with my attending Uni it's not practical fitting in with my lifestyle, he could be the last one to be picked up = me late for Uni.

No family are able to help as well as friends.

I'm sick with worry because I have no idea what I'm going to do if we are given our nearest school (plus it's appalling 😂)
Do we have grounds to appeal?

Thank you

suitcaseofdreams Tue 28-Mar-17 19:59:04

Whether she will get a place at the school near your son's school will come down entirely to the admissions criteria and whether she fits them or not, and how many others apply etc.
Presumably after LAC and SEN and siblings, the criteria is distance. So it will come down to how many apply and whether they go out to 8 miles (unlikely I'd suspect unless it's a particularly rural area and/or the school is quite undersubscribed). Have you looked at past years to see what the furthest distance was? Might give you an indication of what to expect.

You can appeal if you don't get a place but assuming school is full and no mistake was made in the allocation process then I'm afraid your chances of winning an appeal are slim as legally school cannot go over class size limit for infants.
And whilst they may be sympathetic, appeals panels are not allowed to consider your logistics I'm afraid.

Sorry this probably isn't the news you wanted. I do hope you get the place you want but it might be an idea to start thinking about plan B now just in case...

admission Tue 28-Mar-17 20:01:53

The honest answer is that you do not have real reasons to appeal from an admission point of view. Yes it makes massive sense for your two children to be in schools near each other but admission is a blunt instrument and it simply does not take that into consideration, when allocating places.
You can only wait and see what happens on 23rd April with the primary school allocations. In the meantime you need to consider other schools that are near to your sons school and see if any of them would be an appropriate school for your daughter

soapboxqueen Wed 29-Mar-17 10:42:01

Could your daughter not go to a child minder or breakfast club etc

I have to drive my ds to his school which is some miles away but my dd will be going to my local school. I'll be putting her in breakfast club in september.

2014newme Fri 31-Mar-17 11:41:43

Is there a breakfast club, after school club or childminder for your daughters potential school?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now