Talk

Advanced search

Grammar help for Year 5

(5 Posts)
Ojoj1974 Tue 28-Mar-17 10:58:13

Hi, my DS really struggles with English. He breaks up for Easter tomorrow for the best part of a month. I want to try and do a little bit of English each day to help him. We have talked about it and although he isn't thrilled he's agreed to do it (there are a few carrots).

He has virtually no understanding of grammar ie, nouns, adjectives, commas, speech marks etc so I thought I might start there.

I've ordered a Carol Vorderman type grammar book for his age group which I thought we could do together and I was thinking of helping him create a huge poster for his wall.

Do you have suggestions where I could find some good online grammar games, or other resources? I've looked but the ones I tried didn't work, or you needed a subscription etc.

Many thanks

irvineoneohone Tue 28-Mar-17 11:45:59

www.khanacademy.org/humanities/grammar

It is an American site, but they do talk about difference between US an UK if needed. Free site.
Very detailed explanation on basic grammar on you tube videos + practice questions.

Ferguson Tue 28-Mar-17 20:16:03

This is an excellent book, which covers many aspects of grammar and spelling rules in an very accessible way, and ideal for Year 5:

Oxford Phonics Spelling Dictionary

An inexpensive and easy to use book, that can encourage children with reading, spelling and writing, and really help them to understand Phonics, is reviewed in the MN Book Reviews section. Just search ‘Phonics’ and my name.

And to cover other topics there is a lot to be found on these websites:

www.ictgames.com/

www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/page/default.asp?title=Woodlands%20Junior%20School&pid=1

(Woodlands - you probably have to go into Resources, and select subjects from there; come back if you get stuck!)

mrz Tue 28-Mar-17 20:38:59

http://www.englicious.org/key-stage/primary

irvineoneohone Tue 28-Mar-17 21:07:04

Ferguson, the woodland link address has been expired.
There's new one.

www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/index.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now