Talk

Advanced search

Seeing teacher re progress?

(12 Posts)
hoping2016 Tue 28-Mar-17 10:44:57

I've been asked to meet with the teacher regarding progress of my yr 2 ...this the first time school have ever asked me to go in......bit worried can anyone prep me with what questions I should ask etc...

All was fine at last parents evening in Feb? Bit worried now but I guess I need to wait for meeting to find out more.....any advice most welcome....do they only do this if things have slipped massively ?? confused

Trb17 Tue 28-Mar-17 11:24:31

Without knowing what they want to talk to you about it'd be hard to suggest questions.

However one question that instantly springs to mind is this

"If I saw you in February and nothing was amiss then, what on earth had happened in a month to require this?"

It's a short space of time so if your DC has gone from progressing fine to falling behind then I'd want to know what's changed in his teaching in a month?

Fingers crossed it's good news not bad.

stoopido Tue 28-Mar-17 11:28:19

If my child had slipped behind then I would want to know what measures/interventions the school are going to put in place to support my DC.

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Tue 28-Mar-17 11:28:21

Yes trb is right and I'd be asking what's gone wrong in a month too. And I'd ask exactly how they intended to help your son with whatever he needs our school liked to tell us what our eldest was lacking and would then look baffled when I asked how they were helping him overcome it

Hopefully it will be fine.

TeenAndTween Tue 28-Mar-17 11:51:25

When you say 'all was fine' in Feb, is it possible they flagged some things up but in such a polite way you didn't notice? Many schools don't like to say in black and white when a child is struggling so dress it up a bit.

bojorojo Tue 28-Mar-17 12:25:21

I think I would now ask for a "black and white" assessment of his progress and they should have been clearer at the parents' evening if there was any inkling of limited progress. There has probably been a further assessment of his progress in the intervening month (some schools do assess progress very often, others twice a term) so maybe they do now have a clearer picture of his progress or lack of it. I would go in with an open mind regarding how you can help and be prepared to work with the school.

hoping2016 Tue 28-Mar-17 12:29:46

Thank you for all your comments it's good to have some support. ..Yes let's see what happens this pm .....black and white assessment of progress is a good idea I find the teachers are quite woolly with comments ...I like say it how it is so we all know where we stand !! Does.t seem to happen in the school world from what I can gather.

I'll post back after the meeting!

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 28-Mar-17 15:03:12

We were asked in at a similar stage and was worried because my son told me that he and another girl had to go out for special lessons.

We went in thinking had he slipped behind in something. Turned out to be the complete opposite - they had stated that he was G&T and that he and the other girl were being taken out to do extension work with a TA. They wanted to talk to us about getting him reading material of a higher level at home!

hoping2016 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:58:43

ping2016

Hello,

Thank you for your support it ended up being 1 maths area which dd hadn't quite got so not as bad as I thought !

Thanks again

Didiplanthis Wed 29-Mar-17 13:51:38

Glad it went well. My dd is yr 2 and I know of several parents who have been called in in the past few weeks as it becomes apparent that their dc are not quite where they should be in relation to sats. As they are starting practices I get the feeling that areas ( even quite small ones like yours ) of weakness are more apparent. Unlike my dd who failed to progress for nearly a year and no one seemed to notice but that's a whole other story !

bojorojo Wed 29-Mar-17 14:41:46

Glad it was something relatively straightforward and school have been proactive. It is natural to think the worst when you are asked to go in though!

2ndSopranos Thu 30-Mar-17 12:53:52

I do think school should have said that it was nothing of concern (I.e. one area...).

Fwiw we had the same thing as a pp with special lessons accompanied with a standard letter from the senco to tell us dd1 was having extra lessons as there was an area of the curriculum she was struggling with. It was extension lessons for g&t.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now