Talk

Advanced search

Can Parent View results trigger OFSTED visits?

(12 Posts)
BigWeald Mon 27-Mar-17 15:09:34

The Parent View Zombie thread reminded me of a question I have.

If an 'outstanding' school gets really bad Parent View results (say, having 200 children at the school, 35 Parent View forms submitted within a couple of months, answers ranging from 52% to 90% 'strongly disagree') - might this trigger an OFSTED inspection?

The school I have in mind has had no 'real' inspection for nigh on a decade (new head and nearly all new staff since), and gets consistently great academic results, both in absolute terms and in progress terms. But it's Parent View results are awful. Other local schools have fewer, much better, and more balanced parent view results, and much worse academic results, so it isn't something about the locality.

spanieleyes Mon 27-Mar-17 17:00:35

Ofsted aren't really bothered what parents think if results are good. ( actually, I don't think they are bothered what parents think at all!)

Witchend Mon 27-Mar-17 17:43:38

I think the above scenario would raise alarm bells, however the alarm bell could be along the lines of is this one parent/small group of parents with an axe to grind who are registering multiple times each.
I know that it's always struck me that you could set, particularly a smaller school, up because all it does is ask if you currently have a child at the school.
I could easily set up 4 accounts with various email addresses, I could use my dc's emails too and probably persuade a couple of friends to do the same as me, between that easily get 10 responses if I wanted to without really trying.

Thegirlinthefireplace Mon 27-Mar-17 20:00:23

My childrens school's recent inspection didn't seem to take account of the parent questionnIre results (well clearly didn't take them into account at all in one area) so I doubt it cares about parentview.

beautifulgirls Mon 27-Mar-17 21:13:28

We left a school that had very poor parentview results from a large number of parents. Ofsted inspected (was due anyway) and the school talked their way out of the poor parentview results citing a number of parents who were hellbent on causing the school problems. They well and truely pulled the wool over Ofted's eyes and walked away with a good and in parts outstanding result from them. It makes me realise what a pile of rubbish Ofsted really is.

bojorojo Mon 27-Mar-17 23:03:31

I have read numerous Ofsted reports where parent view criticism definitely was taken into account, and good impressions reported too. In the reports I have read Ofsted state the critical views of parents and go to some lengths to see if they agree with them or not based on evidence they find at the school.

There is always the problem that a disgruntled few are overly represented on the system and Ofsted do guard against this. Also Ofsted are now very concerned with the progress of children, not just results. It is, in my view, extremely difficult to criticise a school when parents are never in possession of all the information.

Littlefish Tue 28-Mar-17 21:38:27

I teach in a school which had a fantastic parent view response. It was commented on by Ofsted as being a strong feature of the school.

BigWeald Wed 29-Mar-17 15:09:54

Thanks everyone,

I guess that means that as long as the results incl progress remain good, OFSTED will stay away.

Is there an upper limit for how long OFSTED can not inspect a school? Or is it that once a school achieves 'outstanding', they in actual fact might never be inspected again, provided they keep the results up?

TheColonelAdoresPuffins Wed 29-Mar-17 17:39:28

I would have thought if lots of people were saying their child didn't feel safe they'd want to know why.

mummytime Wed 29-Mar-17 18:05:26

I have known of a primary where: it was in special measures, it turned around with a new head which resulted in Ofsted inspecting and giving it "Outstanding".
Then the academy trust changed, and so did the head. Parents were very dissatisfied with the changes, and lots complained to Ofsted, filled in parentview. Ofsted re-inspected about 9 months after their last inspection. And the school went back into special measures.
So it can be a factor that triggers an inspection.

mummytime Wed 29-Mar-17 18:06:29

Oh my DCs school is officially not the same school (as it became an academy) and hasn't been inspected for at least 9 years.

RosesShouldBeInTins Wed 29-Mar-17 20:26:51

Apparently it can trigger an inspection but as others have said, ultimately ofsted only care about results. The primary my children went to had amazing results (nearly all y6 had tutor) and got an 'outstanding' and yet over 50% strongly disagree that the school is well led and around 50% strongly disagree that their concerns are listened to. Definitely makes me see ofsted ratings in a completely different light.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now