Talk

Advanced search

repeating a yr when your summer born

(7 Posts)
jojowilliams83 Sat 25-Mar-17 22:18:32

So my DD was due 6th sept... but arrived mid aug. When she started school I was told I would not be able to hold her back and start the following year she would only end up in yr 1 without doing reception. (the rules have changed now!)

she is now in yr 3, is behind in almost all areas and I have asked the school if she can retake yr 3 and therefore join the yr behind (which she would have been in if I had deferred). They are supportive and have offered me much advice stating the pros and cons, they are happy to do this but feel that I have to make the decision.

Both keeping her where she is and hoping she will "catch up" and holding her back hoping she will close the gap between what she can do and what the GOV say she should be able to do, offer merit. she is not SEN but is currently supported in a group with other SEN students and has adapted work.

does anyone have any experience of this? did it help or do you wish you could have done this.

PopCakes Sun 26-Mar-17 11:05:16

You need to make absolutely sure she won't miss a year of secondary. I'm not sure this would be guaranteed if you repeat a year as opposed to delaying the start of reception. A really good source of advice would be the Facebook group "flexible schooling for summer bro children" there are plenty of people there that have done this and can offer advice.

amberdillyduck Sun 26-Mar-17 12:33:06

There is a risk that she will either go from Year 5 to Year 7 or Year 6 to Year 8.

You need to be asking questions about out of age admission to the secondary school,

Educationally, generally it is a poor idea as young people can leave school age 16 whilst still in Year 10 and so not complete any GCSEs.

catslife Sun 26-Mar-17 14:26:24

Educationally, generally it is a poor idea as young people can leave school age 16 whilst still in Year 10 and so not complete any GCSEs.
This statement isn't true, no pupils can now leave school at 16 without taking any GCSE exams. All dcs are expected to stay in education or training (this could be work based e.g. apprenticeships) until they are 18.

amberdillyduck Sun 26-Mar-17 21:25:28

This statement isn't true, no pupils can now leave school at 16 without taking any GCSE exams.

It is true. If course they can. They can leave at the end of Year 10 if they are chronological Year 11s. They are meant to go onto education, training/employment or training age 16 but if they don't nothing happens. They are just listed as NEET.

You can leave school on the last Friday in June if you’ll be 16 by the end of the summer holidays.

You must then do one of the following until you’re 18:

stay in full-time education, for example at a college
start an apprenticeship or traineeship
spend 20 hours or more a week working or volunteering, while in part-time education or training

laughinglemons Mon 27-Mar-17 00:04:10

We have held our August born DD down a year. She will start reception in September 2017 aged just 5, as OP says the rules have changed.
I have been warned that she won't be able to play sport for the school because she will be out of year and the school raised concerns about what would happen at secondary. However I am confident that if the government are allowing this, secondary schools will have to accept it when the time comes. How is she socially? Would it be better to change schools?

mrz Mon 27-Mar-17 06:30:19

Laughinglemons the problem is that the OPs child has already been in school for four years and doesn't fall under the new rules.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now