Talk

Advanced search

Apples and Pears

(10 Posts)
Lindy2 Sat 25-Mar-17 21:47:58

My daughter is 8 and in year 4 and really struggles with spelling. I strongly suspect she is dyslexic and I am wondering if apple's and pears will help her. Has anyone had any experience of this and have they found it worthwhile? She has been seeing a tutor which has shown her vocabulary, writing imagination and comprehension are all very good. Her spelling though is pretty awful and she is a bit behind with reading but steadily progressing. We read at home daily (and have done side reception year). I really want to try and specifically help her with her spelling. Is apples and pears something that can be done at home and work ok? Thank you.

SaltyMyDear Sun 26-Mar-17 08:13:17

Apples and pears is a workbook which should be done every day. It's quite good.

But I found Spelling Tutor (http://dyslexiagold.co.uk/SpellingTutor) far more effective for my DD

SaltyMyDear Sun 26-Mar-17 08:13:44

dyslexiagold.co.uk/SpellingTutor

Lindy2 Sun 26-Mar-17 09:04:52

Thank you Salty. I will have a look.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sun 26-Mar-17 09:10:45

Apples and Pears is amazing, absolutely turned around my DSs spelling. However, you really need to commit to it. It works best if you do a whole level every day and, at the start, a level would take my DS 45-60mins.

We started in the Summer holidays (DS has 12 weeks off) and that block of time made a massive difference. We have done bits and bobs since then, which has not been as effective. We will do another blitz on it next Summer, but TBH he is not so far behind his peers in spelling now so I don't think we'll have to do it after that.

Lindy2 Sun 26-Mar-17 12:31:06

Thanks Lowdoor. I'm not sure she'll manage a whole section at a time as concentration issues are also part of the problem. We could probably do several 10 minute sessions a day in the holidays though.
Thanks for your comments.

Sleeperandthespindle Sun 26-Mar-17 13:09:07

I have been doing apples and pears daily for 5 weeks with my 7 year old DD (diagnosis of dyslexia - no support at all from school).

She didn't get on well with spellingtutor, but it might work for some.

I can't see improvements in independent work yet, but her concentration and focus has improved. She can concentrate throughout the session (takes her 20 mins) and her handwriting has improved.

She really looks forward to doing it and likes the repetition. It isn't fun. It's boring, repetitive drill. But she hasn't learned through the fun and games approach at school and I think this is going to work.

Ferguson Sun 26-Mar-17 20:34:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lindy2 Sun 26-Mar-17 23:01:36

Thanks Ferguson. I've actually already got that book based upon your advice on other posts and it is good. I think though that some sort of structured workbook or course to use alongside it would be helpful, which is why I thought apples and pears might help.

MrsKCastle Mon 27-Mar-17 20:52:56

I use Apples and Pears with some of my class. As pps say, it will work best of you can commit to doing it regularly. You don't have to do a whole level at a time as it breaks down into chunks, but you do need to do at least 15-20 minutes daily IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now