Talk

Advanced search

please can you help me with determiners and pronouns

(2 Posts)
freshstart24 Thu 23-Mar-17 17:06:05

I need to help DS decide whether some words are determiners or pronouns. I've googled and am still struggling!

So for the following 2 we are deciding if 'some' is a pronoun or a determiner:

Mum gave me these grapes but I already had some at lunchtime. I think 'some' is a pronoun here as could be replaced by grapes as a noun, and it is not followed by a noun?

I saw some lovely clothes in the shops on Saturday. I think 'some' is a determiner is followed by a noun (clothes) and can't be replaced by a noun?

For the next 2 we are deciding if 'those' is a pronoun or determiner.

Put those red apples in the bowl over there. I think those is a determiner as it is followed by a noun (red apples), and can't be replaced by a noun?

Would you like to try those on? I think those is a pronoun as is is not followed by a noun and could be replaced by a noun (e.g. The trousers).

Gosh it's all so confusing?!!

I just want to get this clear in my head so I can help DS with his homework. I plan to send a note to the teacher to say that I had to give a lot of help. He is in year 5.

spanieleyes Thu 23-Mar-17 17:08:35

dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/determiners/determiners-used-as-pronouns is very helpful!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: