Talk

Advanced search

please can you help me with determiners and pronouns

(2 Posts)
freshstart24 Thu 23-Mar-17 17:06:05

I need to help DS decide whether some words are determiners or pronouns. I've googled and am still struggling!

So for the following 2 we are deciding if 'some' is a pronoun or a determiner:

Mum gave me these grapes but I already had some at lunchtime. I think 'some' is a pronoun here as could be replaced by grapes as a noun, and it is not followed by a noun?

I saw some lovely clothes in the shops on Saturday. I think 'some' is a determiner is followed by a noun (clothes) and can't be replaced by a noun?

For the next 2 we are deciding if 'those' is a pronoun or determiner.

Put those red apples in the bowl over there. I think those is a determiner as it is followed by a noun (red apples), and can't be replaced by a noun?

Would you like to try those on? I think those is a pronoun as is is not followed by a noun and could be replaced by a noun (e.g. The trousers).

Gosh it's all so confusing?!!

I just want to get this clear in my head so I can help DS with his homework. I plan to send a note to the teacher to say that I had to give a lot of help. He is in year 5.

spanieleyes Thu 23-Mar-17 17:08:35

dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/determiners/determiners-used-as-pronouns is very helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now