Talk

Advanced search

London residential

(14 Posts)
jolufc Wed 22-Mar-17 18:54:00

I am taking 32 year 5 pupils on a school trip to London in June for 2 nights. In light of today, would you still allow your child to go? Just looking for opinions to help my decision to run it or cancel it. Thanks in advance.

mummytime Wed 22-Mar-17 19:08:37

Yes! My DD is going to London tomorrow - if you have carried out appropriate risk assessments it should be fine.

But then I grew up just outside London in the 70s and terrorist attacks were always possible. Just as they are always possible now.

Gowgirl Wed 22-Mar-17 19:11:06

Yes, ds trip is going ahead tomorrow, I shan't give it another thought.

ooerrmissus Wed 22-Mar-17 19:14:31

Absolutely.

jolufc Wed 22-Mar-17 19:44:14

Thanks. Those would be my thoughts but our school is in a small northern town where people don't really leave and travel far from. I will see what the parents say tomorrow.

bojorojo Wed 22-Mar-17 23:10:53

Yes. No-one can become a hermit! We need to carry on as usual.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 23-Mar-17 14:06:21

Yes - but be prepared that some may opt out. I'd still go to show the children if anything that life will continue and you should not live in fear.

Moominmammacat Thu 23-Mar-17 16:09:48

I'm still cross that I wasn't allowed to go to a Tutenkahmen exhibition in the 70s because of the IRA.

jolufc Thu 23-Mar-17 17:46:01

We have had a quarter drop out so far with half left to respond. Financially no longer viable sad

LIZS Thu 23-Mar-17 17:52:30

That's a shame, can you rearrange when things calm down a little.

Sirzy Thu 23-Mar-17 17:54:05

What a shame. Realistically it is no more dangerous now than it was yesterday morning.

Witchend Thu 23-Mar-17 18:11:31

I would let mine go, but dm wouldn't have let us go. Heck, she didn't let me on a brownie trip once because it was coming back after dark (5pm) and it might be icy. It wasn't. not bitter We weren't allowed near grandstands after the IRA bomb at one either. hmm

Dm lives in a small northern town and I think it is slightly the mind set though. We're outside the M25 by a small amount and go into London fairly frequently and feel IF we happened to be in London on a day that terrorists decided to strike then the chances are that it would still be far enough away that we wouldn't notice by anything other than increased police presence.

On 7/7 we had calls from certain Northern relatives to check we were okay. I don't think they totally believed us when we said that the tube is nowhere near us. As far as some of the north is concerned, all the south is London. wink

Crossing the road in your county will have a higher death toll than the attack yesterday and I doubt you'll be stopping doing that.

WindyBottoms Thu 23-Mar-17 19:37:28

That's a shame.

My DS went on a trip to London today. The school checked that we were still happy and everybody chose to go.

BackforGood Sun 26-Mar-17 18:49:27

What a shame. No more dangerous now than it was this time last week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now