Talk

Advanced search

What affects your vote for school governor?

(18 Posts)
Beeswax2017 Wed 22-Mar-17 16:52:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2Creamteas Wed 22-Mar-17 17:16:16

I'd vote for the person who I believe will work hard behind the scenes and has a genuine interest in the school. I would not vote for anyone who seemed to be applying to boost their image or status!

admission Wed 22-Mar-17 17:19:46

I agree that it should be the one who is going to be the right person for the job, however just like any public vote it does not necessarily go the way you think it should go.
That is why the GB needs to ensure that the ground rules are laid out from day 1 of being elected as to what the job entails and more importantly does not.

Theworldisfullofidiots Wed 22-Mar-17 17:22:41

I'd vote for the person who is best for the school. If you have a decent chair of governors people who don't contribute are gently removed.....so if she does get it there will probably be a vacancy again soon....

raspberryblue Wed 22-Mar-17 17:26:38

We had a couple of these during my time. They were politely edged out by the rest of the board. I used to call them the twin set n pearl brigade - all about the status but wouldn't do anything. Bloody annoying tbh, but as others have said that type don't last long if they won't do anything.

bojorojo Wed 22-Mar-17 17:38:41

A parent governor cannot be removed by other Governors, even if they are useless. They can decide, for themselves, that the role does not suit them. If they do not get involved, they cannot be forced to, however irritating that might be.

I think you should find that parents vote for the best person to do the job and I assume the other Mum does not know all the parents! When inviting parents to come forward, it is good practice to give a "job description" and expectations to prospective Governors. Most unsuitable people filter themselves out at this stage. It is now vital that Governors have the required skills to do the job and, if a parent cannot grasp that, they won't be much use. Hopefully your voting parents will be thoughtful and understand what type of person is required.

raspberryblue Wed 22-Mar-17 18:33:10

boro oh there are ways to remove them. Especially if they don't turn up to meetings!

BreconBeBuggered Thu 23-Mar-17 13:20:36

Ime people who have misunderstood the expectations of their role as governor don't last long. They weed themselves out pretty quickly once they twig that the GB is not a platform for their fascinating personality.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 23-Mar-17 13:45:42

When I became a parent governor I did a sort of mini cv of other/previous voluntary work eg. Preschool committee, charity trustee, football club chair. I was voted on so assume this was seen as someone who gave time to help out rather than self promotion!

TeenAndTween Thu 23-Mar-17 14:10:36

If I know someone personally I would take my view of their capability in the role into account. Just because I like someone it doesn't mean I think they will be good at a particular role.

If I know them by sight for attending school events that would make me slightly more inclined to vote for them.

But mainly I go off the written blurb.

Witchend Thu 23-Mar-17 16:14:53

In theory, people read the statements and vote for those they think have the best ability, combined with what they've already done.

In practice, it's exactly like school council: a popularity vote, with not much to do with the abilities or otherwise.

But if she thinks she'll get away with parading it and not doing much she'll be in for a bit of a shock when she finds what it will really involve. grin

isittheholidaysyet Thu 23-Mar-17 19:32:29

I would vote for the person I thought would be best for the job.

However I would vote for a person I knew over one I didn't. If in the 8 years I've been a parent and involved in the school I hadn't met you and seen you at school events that would be a big red flag. (With the possible exception of a reception parent.)

(I would also vote for a Catholic over a non-catholic because I chose my kids school because of its religious nature. I realise that is irrelevant in most cases)

WindyBottoms Thu 23-Mar-17 19:44:12

Could she be putting on an act in front of her friends and pretending not to be interested in the serious side in case they make fun of her? Or is that just clutching at straws? grin

I would vote for a friend if I thought they would be good in the role, but I wouldn't vote for someone just because they were thought to be popular.

MangoSplit Thu 23-Mar-17 19:45:44

Good luck OP!

bojorojo Thu 23-Mar-17 23:07:07

Governors who do not turn up to meetings without sending apologies is different to being "edged out". One is in the hands of the individual Governor the other suggests it is in the hands of the Governing Body to engineer a resignation. The latter is almost impossible to do to an elected parent governor.

Beeswax2017 Sat 25-Mar-17 13:27:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bojorojo Sat 25-Mar-17 14:24:34

Good luck!! Common sense will prevail!

WindyBottoms Sun 26-Mar-17 15:35:44

Good luck! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now