Talk

Advanced search

"We don't have to do the extension tasks if we don't want to"

(6 Posts)
smalleststep Sun 19-Mar-17 12:21:28

DS2 is in Y5, and homework often consists of worksheets with core basic tasks and "extension" tasks that encourage them to think a little deeper. The message they're given is that the extension tasks are optional, and as far as I can tell there's no particular incentive given by the teacher for doing them.

Has anyone successfully motivated their DC to want to do optional homework? DS1 was self-motivated and just did it, but not DS2.

rumblingDMexploitingbstds Sun 19-Mar-17 12:25:00

Wonder if the extension tasks are there to try to find a happy medium for both the parents who will raise cain if there isn't enough homework and the parents who will raise cain if there's too much homework and their family doesn't have time for it.

purplegreen99 Sun 19-Mar-17 12:46:13

When I saw your thread title, it made me laugh as I remember both my dcs saying exactly that. I used to sometimes talk through the extension hw with them, which can work if it's the writing that's the issue. Or talk to their teacher and see if s/he feels they need to be doing it - I think I remember one teacher saying that the work should take a certain amount of time, so the extension work was aimed at those who could whizz through the work quickly?

DizzyDigestive Sun 19-Mar-17 13:47:37

Technically the extension tasks are optional. They're aimed at those who find the work easier and complete it quickly

irvineoneohone Sun 19-Mar-17 18:02:11

At my ds' school, if you do optional task, you get extra house points.
That does motivates my ds.

BackforGood Sun 19-Mar-17 19:49:52

Well, they are optional.
How motivated most dc are to do them, will mostly depend on what the teacher says at school, not what you say at home - so, for example the house points in the post above, or, sometimes with younger dc, just an incredulous "wow" from the teacher is enough smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now